Catch up on the best of TV with Netflix Instant

Of everything that students carefully purchase and pack for college, TVs are often overlooked. But that does not mean you should have to miss out on the best TV shows. Many of the programs are available on the Netflix Instant Queue, which allows students to follow their favorite shows when they are away from home and without spending half of their budget on a TV. Here are some of the best shows Netflix has to offer; they are perfect for those nights of procrastination or when you just need something to watch.

“Mad Men” and “Breaking Bad”

Both the ’60s advertising agency and suburban meth dealer dramas receive constant acclaim from critics and viewers alike. They also feature powerful themes and remarkably complex character development. These aspects are appreciated even when watching the show constantly over less time, which gives the Netflix experience an advantage over conventional weekly installments. It’s also very convenient that both shows start their seasons during the summer, so once you’ve caught up on Netflix, you can go home and continue with the newer episodes as they air.

“Arrested Development”

It’s worth buying a Netflix subscription just to watch “Arrested Development.” Often cited as one of the greatest TV comedies of all time, the documentary-style show following Orange County’s most ridiculous family was cancelled after only three seasons in 2006. Fortunately, the cast, which includes Jason Bateman, Will Arnett and Michael Cera, has started filming episodes for a new season to be released exclusively on Netflix, which allegedly will lead to a film. Until then, the three seasons that do exist will keep you more than occupied. “Arrested Development” is a show so clever that fans can find more jokes with each viewing, and they never get old.

“White Collar”

One of USA’s seemingly interchangeable shows, “White Collar” is a great choice for those who are just turning to Netflix occasionally when they have some free time instead of having self-created marathons. This summer procedural is very entertaining thanks largely to the delightful Matt Bomer, who stars as a former art forger and thief who helps the FBI catch other white-collar criminals. While there are recurring plotlines, the episodes are easily enjoyable in one episode at a time thanks to its usual format of one investigation per episode. Think along the lines of “Law & Order,” but with a better looking cast, less depressing crimes and much more humor.

“Heroes,” Season 1

Saddled with an awful reputation, “Heroes” admittedly collapsed on itself but not until the second season. The show about ordinary people with superpowers is actually very good for the first season. The number of characters hadn’t grown too large to maintain yet, and their powers were exciting. The show would fit right in with the recent onslaught of comic book movies — thanks to some creative imagery and a unique format. With its mysteries and, of course, its famous tagline, “Save the cheerleader, save the world,” “Heroes” had a great start. Just pretend it’s a mini series and ignore what was produced after, and it’ll be well worth the time.

A version of this story appeared in the Aug. 26 print edition. Samantha Rullo is entertainment editor. Email her at [email protected].