Kimmel loses water due to water main break

At around 11:30 this morning, a water main broke on 23rd St. and Broadway. John Beckman, NYU spokesperson, confirmed that the 36-inch break resulted in water loss at the Kimmel Center for University Life. There is speculation that several other buildings on campus may lose water shortly.

UPDATE: 1:28 p.m.

721 Broadway, the central Tisch School of the Arts building, will be losing water and heat soon.

At approximately 12:44 p.m., the Tisch Office of Student Affairs sent out an email to students reporting that several of its buildings on Broadway — 715, 719, 721, 725 and 726 Broadway — are expected to lose water and heat.

Rebecca Clementi/WSN

UPDATE: 1:40 p.m.

A source confirmed that Broome Residence Hall has lost water.

UPDATE 1:53 p.m.

A student working at the Palladium Athletic Facility who wishes to remain anonymous confirmed that the building has lost water but still has heat.

Rebecca Clementi/WSN

UPDATE: 2:21 p.m.

Jonathon Ros, the Director of Operations at Kimmel, said, “we are monitoring things and trying to make the right decisions.”

According to Alison Leary, the NYU Executive Vice President for Operations, NYU has contacted the NYC Office of Emergency Management, who does not know how long the water will be out for.

Leary also said that NYU is looking to close some of its administrative buildings early. Then, she said, “we need to turn our attention to the needs of our students in our residence halls.”

UPDATE: 2:33 p.m.

At approximately 2:15 p.m., Alison Leary sent out an email to students with updates about the break. According to the email, the water supply system is currently being re-pressurized from other water distribution feeds.

Since water has not yet been restored, all NYU dining locations will close at 3:00 p.m. in order for Dining Services to gather resources to re-open later tonight.

Third North, Rubin and Weinstein dining halls will re-open at 4:00 p.m. tonight and close at 8:00 p.m. The University Hall Burger Studio and Shabbatt will also be open from 4:00 to 8:00 p.m.

Check back for updates.