Shift overalls from everyday look to smart staple

Overalls aren’t only for toddlers and construction workers. A huge hit on the spring 2013 runways, this tricky item is surprisingly easy to rock on the streets. The myriad of fabric, prints and color choices for this item makes it super versatile. Here are four awesome looks for tomboys and girly-girls.

Rachel Liquindoli for WSN

Tomboy
Day: Overalls are surprisingly super comfortable, especially soft denim options. For those who prefer something more laid-back, wear them over your favorite oversized T-shirt. Throw on a pair of perfectly broken-in sneakers, accessorize with a beanie, and you’ll emulate downtown cool. For the chilly days, try layering on a leather jacket for the perfect effortlessly grungy model-off-duty look.
Night: When nighttime rolls around, it’s time to swap out the denim for edgy leather. But this doesn’t mean you have to trade in comfort. Layer under an unfussy body-conscious crop top. As for shoes, skip out on the ankle-breaking stilettos and opt for some chunky platforms — they provide the height without the pain. Slather on some red lipstick for a finishing touch.

Rachel Liquindoli for WSN
Rachel Liquindoli for WSN

Girly-girl
Day: What better way to be flirty for spring than with some floral overalls? The trick here is to balance the boyish shape of the overalls with feminine
pieces. Don’t shy away from mixing and matching prints. Wear one with a billowy polka-dotted or striped button-down top, strappy sandals, and then accessorize with a girly headband. For some added warmth, throw on a preppy schoolgirl blazer.
Night: White and black is a popular color combo for this spring. One can achieve a dressy look by pairing some white overalls with a contrasting dark colored blouse. Finish the ensemble with chic ankle booties and delicate jewelry. There’s nothing more elegant than a minimalist approach to styling a statement-making piece.

Rachel Liquindoli for WSN

Marina Zheng is a staff writer. Email her at [email protected].