Clinton, Kelly, Sexton host panel on prescription drug abuse

May 8, 2013

NYU School of Law’s Vanderbilt Hall hosted a forum about prescription drug abuse earlier Monday morning. The panel included former president Bill Clinton, NYU President John Sexton, New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly and National Institute on Drug Abuse Director Nora Volkow.
Clinton began the panel by talking about people he knew personally who had passed away due to misuse of prescription drugs, which led to the involvement of his organization, the Clinton Foundation.
Prescription drug abuse has been increasing in the past decade, with pills stolen from family medicine cabinets cited as the main source of these legal drugs.

Kelly, who praised the New York Police Department’s commitment to keeping prescription drugs out of the wrong hands, also spoke highly of Sexton — who has recently been the subject of debate among university faculty. Kelly commended the university president’s leadership of NYU.
Sexton singled out the Reality Show, which is performed during Welcome Week, as one of the university’s major steps to prevent prescription drug abuse among NYU students. He cited the Wellness hotline, which he said receives nearly 400 calls per day — up from 100 calls when the hotline was first instituted in 2004.

Toward the end of the panel, a question from an audience member seemed to leave Clinton stumped.
When asked how to bring the Clinton Foundation’s health initiative to other campuses, the former president joked, “Leave me your contact information.”
Michael Domanico is a copy chief. Email him at mdomanico@nyunews.com.