Clinton, Kelly, Sexton host panel on prescription drug abuse

NYU School of Law’s Vanderbilt Hall hosted a forum about prescription drug abuse earlier Monday morning. The panel included former president Bill Clinton, NYU President John Sexton, New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly and National Institute on Drug Abuse Director Nora Volkow.
Clinton began the panel by talking about people he knew personally who had passed away due to misuse of prescription drugs, which led to the involvement of his organization, the Clinton Foundation.
Prescription drug abuse has been increasing in the past decade, with pills stolen from family medicine cabinets cited as the main source of these legal drugs.

Kelly, who praised the New York Police Department’s commitment to keeping prescription drugs out of the wrong hands, also spoke highly of Sexton — who has recently been the subject of debate among university faculty. Kelly commended the university president’s leadership of NYU.
Sexton singled out the Reality Show, which is performed during Welcome Week, as one of the university’s major steps to prevent prescription drug abuse among NYU students. He cited the Wellness hotline, which he said receives nearly 400 calls per day — up from 100 calls when the hotline was first instituted in 2004.

Toward the end of the panel, a question from an audience member seemed to leave Clinton stumped.
When asked how to bring the Clinton Foundation’s health initiative to other campuses, the former president joked, “Leave me your contact information.”
Michael Domanico is a copy chief. Email him at mdomanico@nyunews.com.

Comments

2 Responses to “Clinton, Kelly, Sexton host panel on prescription drug abuse”

1. Paul Funkhouser on May 9th, 2013 3:34 pm

Ray Kelly is a fascist pig

[Reply]

james cromwell Reply:

They are all cheating for someone. California is known for having some of the toughest DUI laws in the nation, it seems Bobby Brown has been let off easy. He was released Wednesday after serving nine hours of his 55-day jail sentence for driving under the influence.

L.A. County sheriff’s spokesman Steve Whitmore told the media that Brown was released early due to jail overcrowding and good behavior
    http://zautos.com/bobby-brown-serves-nine-hours-in-jail-for-third-dui/

Paul would the jail ever be too crowed if it was you or I with a 3rd dui?

[Reply]

characters available