Lela Rose Spring/Summer 2014

Click for more looks from Lela Rose Spring/Summer 2014.

Out walks the first model in an airy cotton crop shell paired with a geometric printed cotton skirt and what trails behind her seem to be the gold flakes nestled in her voluminous chignon, fluttering beautifully onto the surface of the ground like falling feathers. Fittingly, Lela Rose’s spring 2014 collection carries the same airy lightness of those flakes as it floated its way down the runway in a similar fashion.

Inspired by modern architecture and furniture designs, particularly that of Danish industrial designer Arne Jacobsen, the designer incorporated clean curvilinear lines and sharp geometry into the garments. Picture a body-hugging sheath dress with raised seams that curve their ways down the length of the dress and cropped tweed jackets with smartly placed piping that creates geometric color-blocking.

What Rose mastered in this collection is the use of space in her designs, an element that she brings from usable architecture to wearable fashion. A sound example is the ivory stretch sateen sheath dress featuring black lace inserts on the sides and back. Interrupting the continuity of the white, the dark contrast sharply cut through the lighter fabric.

But even with a rigid framework inspired by architecture, this collection fills it up with the feminine romance classic to the Lela Rose name. Soft fabrics like silk and chiffon were crafted into beautiful sweeping gowns featuring embroidered mosaics, voluminous tulle skirts, and decidedly girly colors. One particular look which awed the audience was a watercolor silk chiffon wrapped halter gown, unsurprisingly so; the fabric swished and swooshed at the feet of the model in a frenzy of vibrant hues.

Gowns aside, the daywear in this collection were also whimsically romantic. A vivid pink water stained silk swing back top paired with full skirt of the same color and pattern; all it was missing was a string of pearls.

To describe this collection as ‘pretty’ would be an accurate statement, if not somewhat understated. Pretty brings to mind the idea of modest simplicity. And while there was much of that in the garments, there also lies underneath a strong sense of craft. There is nothing effortless about making effortlessly beautiful clothes. But as Lela Rose reflected in this collection, it could be done. And it could be done brilliantly.

Spotted in the front row were actress Brittany Snow and Bergdorf Goodman’s Linda Farrow.

Marina Zheng is the deputy features editor. Email her at [email protected].