Steven Alan Spring/Summer 2014

Natural white and casual elegance dominated the Steven Alan Spring 2014 presentation held at Lincoln Center early Tuesday morning. Sacrificing comfort for fashion? That’s not the motto Alan had in mind when designing this collection, for almost every piece of clothing in it gave off the airy lightness that is both stylish and practical.

Characteristic to the design aesthetics of the label, the collection implemented masculine details into feminine styles, as it was in the case of smart and tailored blazers. A soft grey jacket worn over a striped linen boyfriend shirt and easygoing matching shorts mixed and match femininity with masculinity, creating a look that is classy but not without an edge.

Other standout looks included an ivory two button jacket and matching shorts with a black linen top and a light pink blazer with matching trousers. The soft and playful colors aided to the elegant lightness of the collection.

Along with boyfriend blazers, Allen also produced his version of the oversized sweatshirt dress, which he accessorized perfectly with a white sunhat. The headpiece found its place fittingly in other looks from the collection, particularly on a model who was wearing a black asymmetric dress and black sarouel pants.

A definite crowd-pleaser was the silk and cotton blended drop-waist shirtdress, worn with a pair of delicate white oxford sling backs. Not only was it beautiful on its own, but it was also excellently tailored: the illusion of a short sleeved dress-shirt morphed itself into a below the knew skirt as the eye moved down the length of the garment. Alan seamlessly blended two ideas into one, creating a piece that is uniquely stylish.

With the abundance of oversized blazers, tailored trousers, boyish accessories, and luxurious fabrics, Steven Alan proves that being comfortable can be synonymous to looking fabulous. This collection offers all the boy clothes a girl dreams to wear, and the best part? They were made to fit a woman.

“This season is different,” said Alan. “It’s still very much us but we’re evolving, definitely.”

Larry Wu is a contributing writer. Email him at [email protected].