Carmen Marc Valvo Fall/Winter 2014

Click on image for more looks from Carmen Marc Valvo F/W 2014

Opening his show with a medieval track that slowly transitioned into Pat Benatar’s “Love is a Battlefield,” Carmen Marc Valvo set the stage for a collection that embodied strength and fearlessness.

Inspired by a trip to Istanbul, Valvo’s Fall/Winter 2014 collection incorporated elements of historic Ottoman landmarks. These influences were reflected through metalwork and mosaics that adorned pieces ranging from bodices and bustiers to riding coats and footwear. Despite Valvo’s clear Ottoman inspiration, the designer noted how his image of the collection evolved over time.

“In the process of designing, the metalwork turned into ‘warrior women,’” Valvo said.

Valvo’s strong detailing, however, did not overpower his creations. The designer skillfully balanced femininity with fierceness by integrating lace and flowing designs. Valvo’s combination of fabrics and textures yielded looks that were tenacious, yet elegant.

While the majority of pieces fell into the categories of cocktail-length evening dresses and formal gowns, a select few of the of the looks featured a leather riding pant or a double face lace trimmed pant. Such styles were paired with sable coats, mink vests and lamb trenches.

In order to complement their bold looks, models sported metallic eye shadow and an Egyptian cat eye created by black liquid liner. The rest of the makeup was kept neutral with a nude lip and highlighted cheekbones. Stylists slicked back each model’s tresses into a segmented ponytail with short extension bangs.

Backstage, A-list fans including Vanessa Williams, Katie Couric and LuAnn de Lesseps greeted Valvo. They congratulated the designer and complimented his latest collection.

Carmen Marc Valvo’s Fall/Winter 2014 collection epitomized the fine balance between originality and timelessness. The designer’s pieces, though inspired by antiquity, resonate with the courageous, resilient modern woman.

Katie Halpern is a contributing writer. Email her at [email protected].