Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 07:48 am est

Multi-use products help to simplify morning makeup routine

Posted on February 26, 2014 | by Rebecca Riddle

via aquaphorhealing.com

When it comes to getting ready in the morning, having a quick and efficient beauty routine can save time and help you out the door quickly. Start your day effectively by trying some of these affordable, multipurpose beauty products.

e. l. f. Shimmering Facial Whip ($1)

This soft, iridescent highlighter can be used on your cheeks, as well as your eyes and lips. Dab the whip onto your cheekbones to add a subtle glow to your face, onto your eyelids for a foolproof eyeshadow or onto your lips for a pink shine. At just one dollar, this multifunctional product’s price cannot be beat.

Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure ($7.50)

Painting your nails is generally not a quick task. However, you can speed up the process by using this nail polish, which offers the benefits of basecoat, color, topcoat, growth treatment and strengthener in one easy step. The Complete Salon Manicure line comes in a large variety of colors and lasts longer than ordinary polish alone.

CoverGirl Invisible Concealer ($6)

Concealer is great for hiding under-eye circles and blemishes, but it can also double as a primer for eyeshadow. Apply concealer evenly to your entire eyelid before applying shadow to ensure your makeup lasts all day. CoverGirl’s lightweight formula is a classic that covers without caking.

Aquaphor Healing Skin Ointment ($6.30)

This moisturizing ointment can be used to treat dry, cracked skin on your heels and elbows, as well as to help heal severely chapped lips. You can also apply it on top of your lipstick as a high shine gloss. Be sure to use sparingly, as this product can become greasy if overused.

Organix Moroccan Argan Oil ($8)

Apply a few drops of this powerful product to your hair before using heat styling tools in order to protect it from damage, all while taming frizz and adding shine. Organix is a great alternative to expensive salon brands that can cost more than three times as much.

Turbie Twist Hair Towel ($10 for set of two)

Wrap your hair in this absorbent microfiber towel as you apply your makeup. This technique will help your hair dry faster and save you from blow-drying. Using a microfiber towel rather than a traditional cotton towel on your hair also helps eliminate static and frizziness.

Rimmel Glam Shadow Quad ($6)

These eyeshadow palettes offer four coordinated shadows that are designed to be all you need to create a complete look without having to pick out colors on your own. To get even more out of this product, try wetting an angled eyeshadow brush and using the darkest shadow as eyeliner.

Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmer ($5)

Combining color, shimmer and moisture in one, this product is great when you want to add a pop of color without having to spend the time carefully applying an opaque lipstick. Each color is soft enough for daytime wear and has the added benefit of nourishing vitamin E and coconut oil.

A version of this article appeared in the Wednesday, Feb. 26 print edition. Rebecca Riddle is a contributing writer. Email her at bstyle@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next