Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 07:18 pm est

Top 5 ways to celebrate St. Patrick’s with Irish flair

Posted on March 10, 2014 | by Bryna Shuman

via Wikipedia

St. Patrick’s Day is next Monday and there are plenty of ways to celebrate besides a beer crawl through New York City. Learn a little more about Irish culture, explore the city and join the celebrations with these St. Patrick’s Day options.

Irish Music

Put yourself in the Irish mindset this St. Patrick’s Day with some traditional music. Paddy Reilly’s Music Bar offers live music seven days a week, alternating between traditional Irish and Celtic rock, in addition to a full Guinness draught bar. For a different type of show, get tickets for “Once,” a Broadway musical set in Dublin that features stellar Irish music. (Paddy’s Reilly’s Music Bar, 519 Second Ave. Tickets for “Once” start at $49.50.)

Tenement Museum

Jump into the past by taking a tour of the homes of Irish immigrants. The Tenement Museum offers visitors the chance to learn more about Irish immigrants by exploring the restored home of the Moore family, which moved to America in the late 1860s. The tour takes an inside look at the Moore’s struggles, from anti-immigrant tensions in their neighborhood to family tragedies. (The Tenement Museum, 103 Orchard St. Irish Outsiders Tour, $20 with student ID.)

Scavenger Hunt

Grab some friends and team up for the Amazing New York Scavenger Hunt: St. Patrick’s Day Edition. Decked head to toe in bright green, teams are sent on a three-hour quest through New York City, following a series of clues sent to them through a smartphone app. The teams will have to successfully complete various mental or physical tasks and return first in order to win the grand prize. (137 Ludlow St., March 16, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. The event costs $20.)

Traditional Food

Celebrate this St. Patrick’s Day with some traditional Irish food. McSorley’s Old Ale House has been around for over 150 years and offers a nostalgic atmosphere along with good food and cheap house brews. The Black Sheep offers traditional Irish fare like beer-battered fish and chips ($12), bangers and mash ($11) and shepherd’s pie ($12), in addition to a heaping of Irish luck, evidenced by the 25,000 pennies decorating the bar top. For a more hands-on activity, take a class and learn to cook your own beef and Guinness stew and traditional Irish sweet cake. (McSorley’s Old Ale House, 15 E. Seventh St. The Black Sheep, 583 Third Ave. Bowery Cooking Center, 95 E. Houston St. March 15, 2 to 5 p.m. The event costs $45.)

St. Patrick’s Day Parades

Wear your green beads and shamrock hats and join the party. The Bronx will celebrate with the 16th annual Throggs Neck St. Patrick’s Day Parade on March 16, starting at noon near East Tremont and Lafayette avenues.

Manhattan’s annual blowout bash will march down Fifth Avenue beginning at 11 a.m. on March 17, with a procession of honor guards, bagpipers and Irish step dancers. Brooklyn keeps the party going for an extra week, throwing its parade at 1 p.m. on March 23.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, March 10 print edition. Bryna Shuman is features editor. Email her at bshuman@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next