Wednesday, Aug 20, 2014 12:50 am est

Play proves American Dream to be unrealistic

Posted on March 13, 2014 | by Joseph Myers

Emily Schwend’s “Take Me Back” questions the idea of the seemingly unattainable American Dream by profiling one man’s journey after being released from jail. With minimal job prospects or financial stability, ex-convict Bill (James Kautz) is forced to move in with and care for his diabetic mother, Sue (Charlotte Booker).

When Bill’s newly married ex-girlfriend Julie (Boo Killebrew) stops by for a visit, Bill realizes that his life has been put on hold while everyone else’s have continued in full motion. Suddenly, all Bill thinks that he knows about his life starts to unravel.

The 90-minute play explores the human desire for self-improvement, the drama of strained relationships and the unsettling feeling of not knowing where you are going in life. The dark comedy pushes emotional limits in showing the pitfalls of American society and the self-destructive nature of the human condition.

Set in Sue’s plain house in Muskogee, Okla., “Take Me Back” uses the kitschy and somewhat washed-out abode as a reflection of Bill’s bleak state of being. In the center of the stage, there is an old-fashioned television set playing game show reruns, turned on even before the play has begun, perfectly encompassing Bill and Sue’s desperate situation.

The cast’s performances subtly highlight the melancholy truth of the American Dream being no more than just a dream. The high-energy, passionately raw performances make it easy for the audience to relate and sympathize with the characters. In particular, the strained mother-son relationship between Bill and Sue is examined beautifully, emphasizing that both characters want what is best for one another, but just do not see eye to eye.

Their interactions are both endearing and heart-breaking, and are portrayed in such a believable manner that most people will see the situation reflected in their everyday lives. The actors’ portrayals were comfortable, truthful and natural, vitalizing the play’s dismal subject matter.

Despite the dark nature of the play, Schwend’s writing is incredibly comical in an honest yet macabre way. Relationships are explored humorously, making light of tense, awkward situations that would otherwise be very grim. The juxtaposition of Bill’s life — described before and after his jail time — is written in a tragically authentic manner that underlines the flawed, unaccepting ways of modern American society.

The melancholic and somewhat sardonic note of “Take Me Back” has something that everyone can relate to or learn from.

“Take Me Back” is playing at Walkerspace, 46 Walker St.,  through March 22.

A version of this article appeared in the March 13 print issue.  Joseph Myers is a staff writer.  Email him at theater@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next