Friday, Jul 25, 2014 02:15 pm est

How to put your apartment in order for springtime

Posted on March 24, 2014 | by Ilona Tuominen

via Flickr

With the weather warming up, midterms ending and spring officially beginning, now is the best time for spring cleaning. Follow these simple tips and tricks for a fresh start to the second half of the semester.

Freshen the air

Does your room or suite have an unnatural smell? It could be because your trash is left open, without any sort of lid, and old garbage has been stinking up your kitchen. In addition to remembering to regularly take out the trash, invest in a cover for your bin. Drop half a lemon into the kitchen garbage disposal to act as a deodorant and make sure to wipe down your trash cans after taking them out to erase any residue.

Clean the microwave

After cooking everything you could indoors so you would not have to brave the cold weather, your microwave has probably had more than its fair share of use. Microwave a half-full glass of water for two minutes — the steam will loosen and soften any food that remains stuck.

Disinfect the sink

Your sink can have tons of bacteria on its surface even if you can not see it. To disinfect, spray some vinegar mist. Let it sit for a minute, then wash it off with soap and water. Afterwards, spray some hydrogen peroxide mist and leave it. Do not mix the two together.

Clean out the refrigerator

It is easy to forget to clean the place food is stored. Throw away all expired items and keep the close-to-expiring products closer to the front so you will not forget to eat them first. To clean out any stains, try using shaving cream. Alternatively, you can use a spoonful of baking soda as a mild abrasive to scrub entrenched stains.

Organize your closet

Try to keep only the necessary items. Which clothes do you actually wear, and which items have you not touched the entire season? Utilize the storage under your bed or above your closet, where you can fold away your big winter coat, hats, scarves and ugly Christmas sweaters that you will not need anymore. You can even make a little extra cash by taking clothes you do not want anymore to stores that will buy your gently used items, like Beacon’s Closet or Buffalo Exchange. Leave the clothes that are appropriate for spring in the hangers to expedite your morning routine.

Unclutter your papers

Reorganize those papers and files lying around your desk and under your bed. Since you are halfway through the semester, do not leave study materials unorganized until the dreaded finals week. Keep track of your papers by creating binders or folders, so you do not lose something you will need in the upcoming weeks.

Change your sheets

Buy fresh, new sheets for your bed, or wash your current ones. They actually get dirty pretty quickly, so it does not hurt to set a reminder every now and then. While your laundry is in the machine, do the rest of your cleaning while you wait so, by the time the laundry is done, you are free to relax.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, March 24 print edition. Ilona Tuominen is a staff writer. Email her at features@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next