Monday, Jul 28, 2014 04:17 am est

Recycling fashion should be tasteful

Posted on April 2, 2014 | by Sam Del Rowe

via flickr.com

With the rise of the normcore trend,  recycling fashion seems to have reached a high. Normcore can be summed up as taking fashion inspiration from the worst trends of the ’90s — ill-fitting jeans and white New Balance sneakers or Tevas. The term was coined on Feb. 26 in a New York Magazine article and has since been popularized through social media. There is something to be said for understanding fashion as an important  form of self-expression, yet there are still trends that should not be resurrected.

Think back one or two years to the unfortunate Cosby sweater trend that swept the campuses of liberal arts colleges and beyond. Rivaled only by the related ugly Christmas sweater trend, oversized thrift store Cosby sweaters were paired with skinny jeans for both men and women before the trend was swept up by the likes of Urban Outfitters. Many people agree that Cosby sweaters and ugly Christmas sweaters should be left in the past. While oversized sweaters may be comfortable, the irony that comes with replicating the ’80s and ’90s is best left on coffee mugs.

Of course, comfort is an important factor to consider when it comes to clothing. However, irony comes into play as soon as someone claims to be against current trends by attempting to revive past trends. The purposeful resurrection of unfortunate trends is undesirable. These styles were bad when they started and reappropriating them under the guise of irony may be even worse.

That said, some aspects of the normcore trend can be worn tastefully. Fleece is an acceptable option, especially in neutral colors such as black and grey. Loose-fitting jeans can also be incorporated into many outfits, as long as they are in dark washes. After all, sweatpants are currently ubiquitous in high fashion. The issue is not comfort. There are ways to wear loose fitting and athletic clothing while maintaining a put-together look. Check out the persistent sports luxe trend for inspiration.

Ironic clothing makes the wearer look silly and careless, on par with wearing an “I’m with stupid” t-shirt. Who knows, maybe those kinds of shirts will be the next big trend. But for now, leave the Cosby sweaters in the ’80s, Christmas sweaters at your grandma’s and dad clothes in his closet. And please, do not bring back the fanny pack.

A version of this article appeared in the Wednesday, April 2 print edition. Sam Del Rowe is a staff writer. Email him at bstyle@nyunews.com.

Comments

• rrrj

get ur facts str8. normcore was coined by khole like last year duh. also, if youre going to offer bad to mediocre fashion commentary/advice, at least know what youre talking about

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next