Monday, Jul 28, 2014 08:21 am est

Trends incorporate unique materials

Posted on April 2, 2014 | by David Bologna

Felipe De La Hoz/WSN

From sequined lip prints to nylon windbreaker couture, Spring 2014 fashion collections brought a whirlwind of bold and eccentric materials. While these fabrics may seem impossible to pull off in an everyday wardrobe, it is actually easier than ever to sport some of this season’s styles.

DKNY displayed an interesting take on the parachute dress this season by using material that, fittingly, resembled a parachute. Clad in windbreaker-esque nylon looks, many of Donna Karan’s dresses fluttered down the runway, displaying the beautiful movement of her sportswear couture. Though sportswear couture is not easily found in stores, adding some nylon to your wardrobe can still be done in an affordable fashion. Windbreaker jackets are always available at American Apparel, with its unisex nylon taffeta version in 16 different colors ($21).

Gucci also paid homage to sportswear by using mesh in a number of looks. From a paneled detail on the shoulder to a full shirt, the use of the material was bold and perfect for carrying the sporty trend that will gain steam as the weather warms up. Forever 21 offers a variety of dresses and shirts in mesh, but the simplest and most effective are the crew neck mesh jersey ($13) and the daring mesh crop top ($10). Pair either with a bold, printed floral pant to really rock the look.

Givenchy made the return of rubber and vinyl evident in its accessories. The sport sandal presented by the designer comes in a transparent rubber material that nostalgically references the good old days of jelly shoes. American Apparel sells a few versions ranging from $24 to $45. Another way to bring this trend to clothing is to take a chance with the vinyl mini skirt, offered in four vibrant spring colors ($58). Pulling this off is best done with a vibrant floral shirt or a contrasting suede or fuzzy-textured top.

Sequins are finding their place back on the runway. Marc by Marc Jacobs and Yves Saint Laurent are to thank for this flashy return, which is sure to excite fashionistas. Sequins are one of the most difficult materials to pull off, as are all things shiny. Pairing ASOS’ sequin-striped Motel Ronnie Stripe Tee ($38) with a leather skirt and kitten heels is a surefire way to rock the look. Avoid matching tops and bottoms, as too many sequins could make a costume out of a street look. If full apparel is too edgy, try sequined clutches, hair bands and other accessories.

Spring will be a season for the statement maker, and incorporating some of these designer inspired materials into your wardrobe will add just the right touch.

A version of this article appeared in the Wednesday, April 2 print edition. David Bologna is a staff writer. Email him at bstyle@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next