Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 03:29 am est

Top 5 accessories for spring weather

Posted on April 7, 2014 | by Benny Seda Galarza

via Flickr

Spring is here, and a new season means a new wardrobe. Enough of infinitely layering jackets and scarves — it is time to experiment with new trends. Here are our top five picks for must-have spring accessories.

Baseball Hat

If you think a baseball hat is more of a Yankees Stadium relic than this season’s essential headwear, you would be mistaken. Cotton caps are actually a way of bringing a laid-back, nonchalant look to warm weather outfits. These hats satisfy all styles and are made using anything from floral to retro prints. As a bonus, hats are not only stylish, but also provide shade on sunny days.

J. Crew Jacquard Baseball Cap, $39.50; jcrew.com

The Floral Printed Cap, $29; americanapparel.net

Headphones

With warmer weather, you are more likely to walk to your destinations around the city, probably listening to music as you go. Your headphones can always add to your outfit and make a statement. Leather coverings and metallics are popular decorations, especially on chunky, retro-style headphones.

Frends Taylor Interchangeable Leather and Gold-Tone Headphones; $250; net-a-porter.com

Nakamichi Headphones, Metallic Pink Edition; $20; sears.com

Bandana

Replace your old winter scarf with a light weight bandana for a fresh spring accessory. The neckwear accent was highly popular in the spring 2014 collections. Replicate the runway with these bandana styles — rolled, folded or untied — or even suit yours up by turning it into a pocket square with personality.

Bandana in woven cotton fabric with printed pattern, $5.95; hm.com

Sunglasses

This spring marks a breakthrough season when it comes to sunglasses. After years of a single-frame silhouette dominating the runways, frame shapes appeared slimmed-down, rounded-off and squared styles. One size may fit all for this accessory, but one style certainly does not.

Bold brown sunglasses by Saint Laurent, $325; oaknyc.com

Earrings

Earrings are a unique way to show off your eccentric aesthetic. Stack on ear cuffs for an au courant look. Ear cuffs also come in a variety of forms such as simple metal wraps to dangle cuffs that hang elephants and flowers down to your ear lobe. From bold jewels with bright colors and edgy spikes to more subtle but equally striking classic rhinestones, you have countless options to represent your style.

Large earrings in antique-finish metal with rhinestones, $9.95; hm.com

Luxe Rhinestone Studs, $3.80; forever21.com

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, April 7 print edition. Benny Seda Galarza is a contributing writer. Email him at features@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next