Friday, Aug 1, 2014 10:26 pm est

Do it Yourself: PostIt Calendar

Posted on April 11, 2014 | by Jolene Hsu

Jolene Hsu for WSN

A Post-It Calendar is an easy do-it-yourself project that makes great wall art in a drab dorm room and can be a great help in organizing your school and social life.

Materials:

·       22×19-inch picture frame with wooden frame and glass cover

·       Foam board

·       42 3×3-inch Post-It notes

·       Scissors

·       Sharpie

·       Ruler

·       Dry erase marker

Steps:

1. Cut the foam board to fit the size of the frame.

2. Arrange 35 of the Post-Its in five rows and seven columns on the foam board, leaving at least 3 inches at the top of the board for space to write the month and a half-inch on the other three borders for framing.

3. Draw a right angle at the top right corner of each Post-It to form a small square. This space will be where you write the dates for the month.

4. Cut the remaining seven Post-Its in half. You will need the half with the adhesive.

5. Place each of these cut Post-Its above a column, and write the days of the week in their respective columns.

6. Mount the foam board onto the frame and put the glass back into place.

7. Use the dry erase marker directly on the frame, writing the month name on the top and filling in the dates in the squares.

Tips for Decorating:

·Find a colorful frame for a cheap price at a local thrift store or Goodwill.

·Use different color Post-Its for each row or column, or make a fun checkered board with two colors.

·Make a smaller calendar by using a smaller frame and smaller Post-Its.

·Paint or decorate the foam board before placing the Post-Its on top for more customization.

Tips for Utilizing:

·Use different color markers for different types of events

·Write down due dates for big projects and schedule yourself checkpoints along the way

·Keep an academic calendar handy for reference so when a new month begins, you can easily find and record the dates for breaks and exams.

·Reward yourself for keeping up with a calendar by scheduling in relaxation days.

Jolene Hsu is a contributing writer. Email her at features@nyunews.com

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next