Thursday, Jul 24, 2014 05:41 pm est

Sexton fields student questions at final town hall

Posted on April 15, 2014 | by Caren Doueiry

Hannah Luu/WSN

During the last town hall of the semester, on April 14, students asked NYU President John Sexton about both ongoing and new initiatives.

Students from NYU Divest, a club aiming to pull investments away from oil and gas companies, voiced their concern about the university’s investments in fossil-fuel companies. As part of a demonstration against these investments, the group unrolled a petition on a large piece of paper with over 1,400 signatures.

Sexton said NYU does not directly invest in fossil-fuel companies and recommended that NYU Divest bring this issue to the University Senate, which could then recommend the project to the Board of Trustees.

“We invest in investors, not in companies,” Sexton said. “What I can try to do is coach you on how to succeed.”

Tisch senior and member of NYU Divest Saleem Gondal said NYU Divest will follow the procedure advised by Sexton in an effort to find the fastest way to change.

“Climate change does not just affect the 1,400 people who signed the petition,” Gondal said. “It’s reflective of a global crisis.”

Other students raised questions about the expansion of study-away opportunities for students in the Polytechnic School of Engineering. Sexton said all schools are invited to express their interest in the global sites, and programs are offered according to that interest.

“More programs are to come, and a way to get that is to push the school to adopt them,” Sexton said.

A student asked about university rankings and how NYU fares. Sexton said several factors contribute to college ranking and the results can mislead people to think there is only one right university for all students.

“We shouldn’t allow ourselves to think there is a simple set of norms used to assess a variety of universities,” Sexton said. “It would be impossible that NYU is right for everyone. The important thing is the trend of improvement that has remained constant at NYU.”

Another student brought up the issue of incarceration and education and asked for the university to remove questions about criminal history on its application because these questions discriminate against low-income applicants and people of color.

Sexton said he would make a change if he could. However, he asked for more information about the official NYU process to remove the question.

A question from a virtual follower asked Sexton to respond to the “I, Too, Am NYU” campaign held at NYU to support students of color. Sexton said he supports the campaign, and he has started talking with student leaders of NYU Ally, a group that has partnered with the “I, Too, Am NYU” campaign.

CAS senior and President of NYU Ally Alain Balan said he was pleased by Sexton’s support and hoped that the university as a whole would endorse the campaign.

“It’s a good start that the president is willing to publicly state his support,” Balan said. “We need the university to back up his word.”

Sexton ended the town hall by encouraging students to look after each other in this stressful time of year.

“There are three weeks left in the semester,” Sexton said. “Don’t be afraid to stop and ask people if they are OK. We are all there for each other.”

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, April 15 print edition. Caren Doueiry is a staff writer. Email her at news@nyunews.com

Comments

• Tomtom28

OMG, students are such annoying aholes. Try to drive your car without gas.

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next