Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 11:25 am est

Stars lead uneven ‘Joneses’

Posted on April 18, 2014 | by Bailey Ayers

The first noticeable aspect of “The Realistic Joneses” is that it is inherently different from anything else on Broadway this season. The Broadway debut for playwright and Pulitzer Prize finalist Will Eno provides a drama masked as a comedy. Audiences will laugh throughout the show, but after the play is over, it is hard to remember what made them laugh in the first place.

The play focuses on two couples — neighbors — both named Jones. Bob is played by Tracy Letts, Tony Award winner and writer of “August: Osage County,” while Academy Award nominee Toni Collette stars as his wife Jennifer. The other couple, John and Pony, are played by Michael C. Hall (“Dexter”) and Academy Award winner Marisa Tomei.

In the first scene, the two couples meet for the first time and the interactions are comedicly awkward, as John and Pony are socially inept. These sudden bursts of conversation and the uncomfortable silences make for an extremely humorous scene.

However, with the discovery of a dead squirrel, it becomes apparent that “Joneses” might not be a comedy after all. The show quickly changes course as it becomes known that both of the Joneses are suffering from the same kind of degenerative mental disease.

Tomei’s character can only be described as an airhead, with many of her lines providing comedic relief for the harsh reality of the men’s plight in the show. John has decided that he shouldn’t share his disease with his wife, claiming that “people getting moody and going blind, it’s just not really her thing.” Hall plays John with sweetness, but evokes the right amount of sadness as well.

Letts and Collette are perfect opposite each other. Bob has decided to deal with his illness by pretending that it doesn’t exist, while Jennifer caringly reminds him that it does.

The problem with “Joneses” is that, despite the character nuances, there isn’t much action going on. While it is interesting theater, it may be tiring for those who do not love Eno’s work. The script reaches its deepest point less than halfway through the show and just circles from there.

“Joneses” progresses through a series of sketches, most of which have nothing to do with each other, and few of which are actually resolved. Carried by terrific acting on the part of seasoned Broadway veterans, the show often asks questions that it fails to answer.

“The Realistic Joneses” is a hard play to keep up with, but it is worth seeing for the actors, and adds a necessary and unique dramatic facet to the current Broadway season.

Bailey Ayers is a contributing writer. Email her at theater@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next