Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 03:23 am est

How to search for, apply to internships

Posted on May 1, 2014 | by Nikita Metharamani

File Photo by Jonathan Tan

With summer approaching, many college students are struggling to find internships. Competition is the biggest problem facing students as they try to land their dream internship. Students have to find a way to stand out. Here are some ways to find and snag that coveted internship.

There are plenty of online resources designed to help you find internship listings. However, if you have a specific company in mind that you would like to work for, it is a good idea to approach the company directly. Even if a company does not have any current openings, you will be first in mind for future opportunities. Also, always take the time to network in your personal circle. A friend or family member may have a connection in the field you want to work in.

When it comes to writing résumés, a common misconception is that you should try to cram everything you have ever done onto one page, to show how much you have accomplished. Instead, this tactic often backfires and comes off as overwhelming or chaotic. Résumés should remain concise and simple, and students should include their biggest and most relevant accomplishments. Keep descriptions short and to the point. Always have a friend or career counselor read over your résumé and look for typos, spelling mistakes and other errors.

A common mistake students make is just waiting to hear back from the company after submitting their résumé. Not hearing back from a company does not necessarily mean you are not well-suited for the job. It just means that the company has many résumés to work through. If you have not heard from the company within two weeks, send a quick follow-up email to the appropriate department, introducing yourself and reminding the company that you are interested in a certain position. The key is to be polite and professional, not overly aggressive. Show them that you are a motivated student who is interested in their company without becoming an annoyance.

A version of this article appeared in the Thursday, May 1 print edition. Nikita Metharamani is a staff writer. Email her at features@nyunews.com.

Comments

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next