Friday, Jul 25, 2014 11:56 am est

Top 5 ways to make cash flow over summer

Posted on May 1, 2014 | by Dana Reszutek

via Flickr.com

As the school year ends, the flow of extra income stops for many students. If your wallet is feeling a little empty, there are several ways to make cash on the side while taking classes or working at a job or internship.

Resale Shops

To earn some extra spending money, the quickest place to start is right at home in your own closet. Take the time to carefully go through your wardrobe, sort out clothes you no longer wear and bring them to a resale shop. New York City is home to many resale and thrift shops that buy clothes from customers, such as Buffalo Exchange on 11th Street between First and Second avenues and Beacon’s Closet on 13th Street and Fifth Avenue.

Online Survey  

Nearly every student spends most of their time on the computer, so one of the easiest — and laziest — methods to earn extra money is by taking online surveys. There are myriad sites that connect with payment companies like PayPal and compensate you for taking lengthy online surveys, including MySurvey, iPoll and Opinion Outpost. But be warned: in order to make a substantial amount of money, you need to take hundreds of surveys, so make sure you have some spare time on your hands.

Babysitting

If you are planning to stay in the city and you are CPR-certified, babysitting is a great option for a summer job. Many working parents are looking for all-day babysitters while their kids are out of school. NYU’s CareerNet has a registry system you can browse to find possible gigs. Other online websites, such as urbansitter.com and sittercity.com, can also match you with families looking for sitters. This option often turns into a fulltime job, and pay near the NYU campus is typically good.

Dog Walking/Pet Sitting

If you prefer taking care of animals to watching children, a dog-walking or pet-sitting job may be the best way to spend your summer. For pet sitting, try asking fellow students who are leaving the city if they have pets that need to be watched over the summer. If you are lucky, you might find an  arrangement that allows you to sublet the apartment in exchange for your service. If you would prefer to look for pet care jobs through a website, care.com is a great option. Categorized by the type of position, this site offers job listings that are safer because all of the site’s users must fill out a membership application.

Busking

Even if you do not consider yourself particularly talented, bring an instrument to the park on a sunny day and try your luck at busking aka street performance. However, busking is not guaranteed to bring in the cash — your success is based on the crowd’s response coupled with your natural talent. But, if anything, busking is a great way to spend a weekend outdoors making music with friends.

A version of this article appeared in the Thursday, May 1 print edition. Dana Reszutek is beauty/style editor. Email her at dreszutek@nyunews.com.

Comments

• Jenn Deloach

Try doing surveys online. There are legit companies. I make around $200 a month or so doing them. Check out the link below it’s the best site I have found so far,

http://www.cashcrate.com/5388789

CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
CLOSE [x]
profile portrait
Felipe De La Hoz

Multimedia Editor | Felipe De La Hoz is a Colombian national studying journalism at the College of Arts and Sciences. Having been born in Colombia and raised in the United States, Mexico and Brazil, Felipe is a trilingual travel aficionado and enjoys working in varied and difficult environments. Apart from his photography, Felipe enjoys investigative reporting and interviews, interviewing the likes of Colombian ex-M-19 guerrilla fighters and controversial politician Jimmy McMillan. He has covered everything from governmental conferences to full-blown riots, as well as portraiture shoots and dining photography. Having worked under Brazilian photojournalists for Reuters and AFP, Felipe hopes to one day work on demanding journalistic projects and contribute to the global news cycle.

AS
Ann Schmidt

News Editor | Ann is a liberal studies sophomore who lived in Florence during her freshman year. She plans on double-majoring in journalism and political science and is always busy. She is constantly making lists and she loves to laugh.

DY
Daniel Yeom

Daniel started at the Features desk of WSN last Spring, writing restaurant reviews whilst indulging on free food and consequently getting fat. Last Fall, he was the dining editor, and he this semester he is senior editor. Daniel is in Gallatin (living the dream) studying Food & Travel Narratives, incorporating aspects of Food Studies, Journalism, and Media, Culture, and Communication. He loves food more than life itself.

Hannah Luu

Deputy Multimedia Editor | Hannah Luu is a ridiculously great Deputy Multimedia Editor. She is a sophomore from Northern California. If you think Northern California means San Francisco you might need to closely examine a map. She is passionate about NPR and being half Asian.

CLOSE [x]
  • How to join:

The Washington Square News holds open weekly budget meetings at its office located at 838 Broadway every Sunday. All are welcome to attend, no matter your background in journalism, writing, or reporting. Specific times for meetings by desk are listed below. If you wish to talk to an editor before you attend, feel free to check out the Staff page.

NEWS FEATURES MULTIMEDIA SPORTS ARTS OPINION
    5 P.M. 6 P.M. 6 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 6:30 P.M. 7 P.M.

Applying for an editor position: Applications for editor positions during the fall or spring semesters are available twice each academic year and can be found here when posted. Applications for the Fall 2012 semester are closed, but check back for Spring 2013. Those who wish to apply are urged to publish pieces in the newspaper and contact current editors for shadowing.

History of the Washington Square News:

The Washington Square News is the official daily student newspaper of New York University and serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities. Founded as an independent newspaper in 1973, the WSN allows its undergraduate writers and photographers to cover campus and city news and continues to grow its strong body of award-winning journalists and photographers.

• The WSN has a circulation of about 60,000 and can be found in over a hundred purple bins distributed throughout campus. It is published Monday through Thursday during the fall and spring semesters and online on Friday, with additional special issues published in the summer. The newspaper recently revamped its website during the Fall 2012 semester.

Like few campus newspapers in the country, the paper is editorially and financially independent from the university and is solely responsible for selling advertisements to fund its production. The WSN, including its senior staff, is run solely by current undergraduate students and the business-division is largely student-operated as well.

A Board of Directors comprised of alumni, NYU professors and working news media professionals serves as advisors to the paper. Board members have no control in the WSN's editorial policy or newsroom operations. Alumni of the newspaper are established and leading journalists in such news organizations as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, NBC news, ABC news, Fox News, and USA Today.

Next