Mara Hoffman Spring/Summer 2015

Gianna Collier-Pitts, Violet Vision editor

Accompanied by drum beats and hypnotic melodies, Mara Hoffman calmed and intrigued spectators at Lincoln Center with a lighter color palette and softer silhouettes in her Spring/Summer 2015 collection.

Called “The Sunrisers,” the collection drew influence from the West Coast with cotton shift maxi dresses and long-brimmed baseball caps with ribbons hanging from the back.

Southwestern vibes made an appearance in the form of restructured cream-colored cowboy hats and a pastel terracotta-printed jumpsuit, as well as several potted cacti positioned at the start of the runway. There were even some Japanese-inspired prints featured in a sleeveless maxi dress with a red sun motif and circular blue wave print.

Many pastel shades and an array of prints were present this season, while brighter shades were exhibited in the form of accents to a handful of cutout and sheath dresses with bull’s-eye designs. One standout look with bolder coloring included an ocean blue linen button-down with circular rainbow detailing on the back and front, with matching blue palazzo pants.

Other notable looks included a harvest leaf-printed double-strap bandeau dress and a loose-fitted bird embroidered maxi dress. Odes to her previous collections and signature aesthetic could be seen in her faded rainbow bikini and one-piece, as well as a full-length printed maxi dress with contrasting half-moon prints.

Hair and makeup remained equally fresh and toned down, as models showed off messy braids and nearly nude faces accentuated with strong brows.

Hoffman noted prior to the show that there would be a shift to “lighter and brighter” for this season’s looks, which proved successful overall. The collection concluded with a final walk to the tune of “Let The Sunshine In,” a welcome burst of energy to contrast the more laid-back cuts and ensembles of her newest collection.

A version of this article appeared in the Thursday, Sept. 11 print edition. Email Gianna Collier-Pitts at [email protected].