Vivienne Tam Spring/Summer 2015

Anetxy Barnes, Contributing Writer

The lights lowered and the room burst with techno vibes as the first model of Vivienne Tam’s Spring/Summer 2015 collection stepped out on the runway. The upbeat techno track, which many audience members bobbed their heads to throughout the show, had oriental undertones, highlighting the collection’s main theme.

The ornate treasures of the Ming and Qing dynasties that lay in the Forbidden Palace inspired the collection. The pieces featured vibrant and otherworldly landscapes, birds, and scenes from nature, complemented with eyelet lace and textured cottons.

Despite its inspiration, the collection was not antiqued by its historical influences. The traditional patterns were amped up with power mesh and laser-cut applique overlays. Collars, sleeves, and seams were trimmed with a knitted techno mesh. The fabrics were rich with texture and colors such as cobalt blues, vibrant greens, and vividly saturated corals.

By combining the natural style of the ancient dynasties with high tech materials, Tam brought to life the free-spiritedness of the 60s and 70s. The styles were further enhanced by strong sculpted forms, such as crisp Bermuda shorts and pajama pants.

Actresses Uzo Aduba and Carmen Electra, Miss Universe Gabriela Isler, and Miss Teen USA K. Lee Graham were all spotted in the audience.

Email Anetxy Barnes at [email protected]