Angel Sanchez Spring/Summer 2015

Talia Milavetz, Contributing Writer

Vivid yellows, pinks, blues and floral prints were nowhere to be seen at the start of Angel Sanchez’s Spring/Summer 2015 runway show. Models with fresh, natural makeup and loose buns glided down the runway wearing neutral blacks and whites.

Sanchez included structured looks in a pocketed neoprene jacket paired with a crisp pant. While these neutral looks would have made a dynamic show in their asymmetry, cutout detailing, and neoprene textures, it was clear to the audience that something bigger was still to come.

An exciting bright pink oversized shirt-and-skirt combination took the runway and completely redirected the collection. Suddenly, everything was pink. The looks began to incorporate citron piping and appliques. After an all citron dress, more neutrals and floral printed organzas, Sanchez delivered the standout piece of the collection: a pale blue crepe gown with front slits.

This dress highlighted Sanchez’s ability to create a look that moves beautifully while maintaining an element of structure. Sanchez continued to use light blue and incorporated citron accents into his next looks with piping, panels, and pocket details.

Finally, the palette consisted of only citron. Yellow is notoriously infamous in the fashion industry, often deemed one of the hardest colors to work with, and yet, Angel Sanchez managed to make it look effortless. As numerous models walked by in the bright yellow hue, it was clear that Sanchez had impressed all with his ability to make the color look beautiful on so many different women.

The show ended in a much different place than it started. Going from neutrals, to pinks, to blues to patterns, to citron, Sanchez managed to keep it cohesive by uniting his looks with structure. Sanchez’s success ultimately created a collection that was at once cohesive and surprising.

Email Talia Milavetz at [email protected].