Georgine Spring/Summer 2015

Natalia Barr and Nicole Johnson

The thunder and darkness that commenced Georgine’s Spring/Summer 2015 show quickly subsided as summery hues and airy fabrics took over the runway. Light music thumped in the background as Georgine’s audience was taken away on a beach vacation straight out of the 70s.

Georgine Ratelband deviates from her usual dark color scheme for this collection, choosing instead to feature beachy metallics and bright mints, oranges, and pinks. Gold was a major component of the collection, with standout looks including a gold silk trench perfect for a breezy summer day.

Wearable retro bathing suits also stood out, parading down the runway and off to the beach with towels, or to a cabana, draped in a glamorous silk and lace coverups.

After showing off a sea of summery shades, the collection did revert back to Ratelband’s usual dark, structured image. Several stark ensembles completely in black, including a black silk organza lace dress with leather detailing, were impressive, but would not fit on a yacht or by the water alongside the more easygoing, flowing pieces.

The models’ hair was as relaxed as the majority of the collection, but not without variety. It was either left down and wavy or covered by intricate turbans, floppy hats or flower hairpieces. The makeup stayed fresh, with no heavy eye-makeup distracting from the effortless ensembles.

This was a new look for Georgine, and it is not clear if the thunder and darkness will return in future seasons. However, the sun is here for now, and Ratelband seems to want us to bask in it.

Email Natalia Barr and Nicole Johnson at [email protected].