This Weekend: Oct. 3 to 5

Hannah Treasure, Features Editor

With the start of October and fall activities in full swing, there are plenty of options for students to experience the city on a budget this weekend. Here are our top picks for upcoming events around New York City.

1. Corn Maze: If you are looking to escape Manhattan this weekend, consider getting lost with some friends in Queens County Farm’s corn maze. The three-acre puzzle is open every Saturday and Sunday during October, but on Saturday, Oct. 4, the maze will stay open late. This year’s maze is designed to look like the American flag to celebrate the 200th anniversary of “The Star Spangled Banner.” Admission is $9 and the maze is open from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and until 9 p.m. on Oct. 4.

2. “Psycho” Performance: Eight actors will perform Alfred Hitchcock’s “Psycho” with a twist of improv acting and audience involvement on Friday, Oct. 3. During their reenactment of the film, non sequitur sound effects will go off and the actors must incorporate the sounds into their performance. The audience also gets a chance to put a twist on the classic scary movie, writing lines that the actors must say. One audience member will also be given a horn to honk, which will signal when the actors must create a random scene on stage. There is a $5 cover charge, and the performance will be hosted by Videology in Brooklyn.

3. New York Film Festival: The world premiere of “Inherent Vice” — the highly anticipated adaptation of Thomas Pynchon’s book — is this Saturday, Oct. 4, alongside several other programs and films shown throughout the weekend. “Inherent Vice” notably features Joaquin Phoenix, Reese Witherspoon and Owen Wilson, among others. Screenings of “Inherent Vice” will take place at the Alice Tully Hall, with four different show times throughout Saturday. Tickets are $25.

4. Taxidermy Fair: Whether you enjoy taxidermy as a yearround hobby or just want to look at some creepy critters for the month of October, check out the Taxidermy Fair this Sunday, Oct. 5. The fair will be held at The Bell House in Brooklyn, celebrating the release of Robert Marbury’s book “Taxidermy Art” with a live taxidermy demo and panel discussion between Marbury and several other taxidermy artists. The event is for people 21 and over, and general admission is $10.

5. Outdoor Movie: The Habana Outpost in Brooklyn is off to a spooky opening weekend, featuring a showing of “E.T.” on Sunday, Oct. 5, to kick off their weekly Halloween movie series. The event is completely free and starts at 8 p.m. Savor a traditional Mexican or Cuban dish and enjoy the Outpost’s last month of screenings for the year.

A version of this article appeared in the Thursday, Oct. 3 print edition. Email Hannah Treasure at [email protected]