This Weekend: Oct. 31 to Nov. 2

This Halloween weekend, you can head to a haunted house or the famous Village parade.

Ilona Tuominen, Staff Writer

Halloween is finally here, and New York City is ready to celebrate. While dressing up is not a necessity, participating in a city event is always a good time. Here are a few fun and spooky Halloween events taking place this weekend.

Nightmare: New York: This ’80s-inspired haunted spectacle on the Lower East Side promises to take you on a horrific railway adventure. Subway zombies, humongous rats and mole people are only a few of the highlights. “Nightmare: New York” ends on Nov. 1 and is located at 107 Suffolk St. between Delancey and Rivington Streets. Go with some friends for the $20 student rush tickets and be prepared to be terrified.

Asphalt Screams: Head to the Upper East Side for this free and family-friendly Halloween event on Oct. 31. Located on 555 E. 90th St., “Asphalt Screams” includes a haunted house and outdoor games like zombie freeze tag. This is a good option to remind yourself of your inner child and enjoy a slightly less scary version of this holiday that was, after all, meant for children in the first place. Perhaps top your night off with some shameless trick-or-treating.

Village Halloween Parade: Starting at Spring Street and ending at 16th Street along Sixth Avenue, this year’s Halloween parade theme is “The Garden of Earthly Delights,” drawing inspiration from the painting of the same name. The parade will also feature puppet shows. Starting at 7 p.m. on Oct. 31, the party is sure to last all night.

Brooklyn Night Bazaar: For the holiday weekend, the Brooklyn Night Bazaar is throwing a special Halloween extravaganza with a light show, face painting and a $500 prize costume contest. The Bazaar at 165 Banker St. is open on Friday, Oct. 31, and Saturday, Nov. 1, with free admission. The event will also showcase a variety of live sets from Diarrhea Planet, Hop Along, Desert Sharks, Weird Womb and DJ Lady Guy.

Annual Halloween Party at New Museum: The New Museum is transforming its modern art ensemble into a bloody Halloween party. The event takes place on Friday, Oct. 31, and is located at 235 Bowery. To enter, you must be a member, and student memberships are $50. While this event is slightly pricy, it will give future free access to any of the museum’s annual events. Drinks, games and artsy crowds make the New Museum’s annual Halloween Party one you do not want to miss.

A version of this article appeared in the Thursday, Oct. 30 print edition. Email Ilona Tuominen at [email protected].