Crime Log: Oct. 30 to Nov. 5

Christine Park, Staff Writer

The NYU Department of Public Safety has received reports of eight incidents of larceny and one incident of controlled substance in the past week.

Controlled Substance

At 1:56 a.m. on Nov. 1, public safety confiscated marijuana and drug paraphernalia from a dormitory room at University residence hall. This incident is still under investigation.

Larceny

At 7:35 a.m. on Oct. 30, a student said that, between 5:15 p.m. and 5:20 p.m., her wallet went missing from her knapsack at the Dibner Library. The New York Police Department filed a report.

At Goddard residence hall, a student reported at 12:25 a.m. on Oct. 30. that an identity thief made retail purchases using his information. NYPD did not file a report.

At 6:35 p.m. on Oct. 31, a report was filed with Public Safety of a bag stolen while it was in a box near the student’s feet at Starbucks at Faye’s that occurred between 6:10 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.

A student reported that, between 12:30 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. on Oct. 31., his bicycle was stolen on the Mercer Street side of Meyer Hall. NYPD filed a report.

At 2:20 p.m. on Nov. 3, Public Safety received a report of a pickpocketing incident of a wallet from a student’s bag as she was walking down the stairs at 5 Metrotech Center. The NYPD was notified and arrested the thief.

At 7:35 p.m. on Nov. 3, a student reported his bike missing, despite securing it with a lock before leaving it at 1:30 p.m. The student did not notify the police. 

At 5:02 p.m. on Nov. 4, a student reported that he had secured his bicycle to a bike rack near Shimkin Hall at 12:30 p.m. and returned to find his bicycle rim missing at 3:30 p.m. The student did not notify the police.

At 12:35 p.m. on Nov. 5, a student attempting to shoplift at the NYU Bookstore was stopped by security guards.

All the incidents except those that occurred at 5 Metrotech Center and the Dibner Library are under investigation.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Nov. 10 print edition. Email Christine Park at [email protected].