This weekend: Nov. 14 to 16

Anna Ferkingstad

By Anna Ferkingstad

Staff Writer

Here is a collection of indoor and outdoor events that will appeal to American art fans, cat lovers, crafters and everyone else ready to enjoy a crisp, November weekend.

Super Sabado

Every third Saturday of the month, join El Museo del Barrio for a series of free events that include art workshops and gallery tours. This month’s theme is based on an exhibition by the artist Marisol, a prominent figure in American art from 1955 to 1998 and is focused on sculptures and paper artwork. Listen to stories, wander the museum or make your own art from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 15 in 1230 Fifth Ave.

Canstruction

There are 26 entries created by artists, architects, students, engineers and designers that will be on display for the public from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Brookfield Place, located at 200 Vesey St., Nov. 6 through Nov. 20. Once the competition is complete, the large eye catching sculptures will be broken down and donated to City Harvest. Entrance is free, but a canned food donation is appreciated.

Whiskers in Wonderland

If thinking about finals already has you stressed, head over to the Petco at Union Square to play with about 200 kittens, cats and rabbits. This third annual event hopes to find these hundreds of pets a new home, but even if you are unable to take on the responsibility of a furry friend, you can still play with them from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 15. The event is free, but it is suggested to bring either a clean blanket, sheet or pet toy as a donation.

Tea and Letters

Hosted by Book Culture at 536 W. 112th St., this free event encourages you to revive the often forgotten form of handwritten letters. Whether it is to be a friend or a family member, use the provided envelopes and postage to send correspondence home while drinking hot cups of tea. The writing activity will take place at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 16.

Renegade Craft Fair

Head to the Metropolitan Pavilion (125 W. 18th St.) Saturday, Nov. 15, or Sunday, Nov. 16, for a day of food, art and music at the Renegade Craft Fair. Open this weekend from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., the Renegade Craft Fair travels around the world in the months of November and December. Use this eclectic fair to get your holiday shopping done early, or take the opportunity to wander and enjoy the sites of the local and international booths.

A version of this article appeared in the Thursday, Nov. 13 print edition. Email Anna at [email protected].