Top 5 ways to give back this holiday

David Bologna, Beauty & Style Editor

As students go home, fires roar and belt buckles loosen, it is easy to overlook the simple joy that the upcoming holiday is all about: giving. To commemorate this special day of extending a helping hand, here is a list of the top beauty products that are giving back this season.

Kiehl’s x Norman Rockwell

Known for its annual collaborations, Kiehl’s has released a limited edition collection of cremes, body butters and gift packages with graphics by renowned American artist Norman Rockwell. In collaboration with Feeding America, the nation’s largest hunger-relief organization, the store has made a commitment to give 1 million meals to families in addition to giving 100 percent of the net profits from their limited edition products to Feeding America.

MAC Viva Glam Rihanna Lipstick

Celebrating its 2014 Viva Glam collaboration, MAC Cosmetics and Rihanna released a line of two truly fabulous lipsticks. Whether in a cool mauve shade or a classic blue-red with frost finish, 100 percent of the proceeds of the lipstick will go to the MAC AIDS Fund, which works to help women, men and children living with and affected by HIV or AIDS.

The Body Shop

Celebrated for its fair-trade mission and definitive stance on animal testing, The Body Shop has teamed up with global charity War Child, which funds education for children in war-ravaged areas. This season, a portion of every holiday gift purchased will benefit War Child and provide one academic class for a child. Holiday gifts include $15 shower gel and body butter sets and a $20 set of coconut, strawberry and honey lip balms.

Philosophy

In addition to its Shower for a Cause program, which gives 100 percent of proceeds from its best-selling shower gel to help multiple charities, Philosophy has launched a new collaboration with charity organization Hope & Grace. The bath products store will support the charity for mental health and well-being by donating 1 percent of every product sold online, eventually adding all in-store sales in January of 2015.

Aveda

Working to help lives in Nepal, this season’s gift sets from Aveda benefit workers and the environment. Every speciality holiday gift set is handcrafted and packaged with eco-conscious Certified Wildlife Friendly paper made by Nepalese workers. Products include a $40 makeup compact complete with four limited edition eye shadows and blush, as well as a $30 set of scented hand creams.

A version of this article appeared in the Nov. 26, 2014 print edition. Email David Bologna at [email protected].