New Year, New Skincare

Sophie Lewis, Beauty and Style Editor

The new year may not mean a completely new you, but it is a great time to change up your skincare routine. Skin can get really dry in the harsher winter months, and the stress of the holidays can be detrimental when it comes to keeping it clear and healthy. With the start of a new semester, here are some key products to switch into your routine to combat oil, dry patches, redness and breakouts.

A good moisturizer is essential to healthy skin. Some higher-end cult favorites include the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion, the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream and Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream. There are many affordable options too, however, including the St. Ives Timeless Skin Collagen Elastin Facial Moisturizer and the Aveeno Positively Radiant Intensive Night Cream. There is a common misconception that those with oily skin can skip moisturizing, but it actually one of the most essential skincare products for all skin types.

Another range of skin products that can make a dramatic difference is alternative makeup wipes. Makeup wipes are the usual way that teenagers, college students and generally super busy people take off makeup, because they are quick and require little effort. That rubbing at your skin is really damaging, however, and makeup wipes usually leave over a large percentage of makeup. Great alternatives are cleaners and oils. The most basic and easy to find is olive oil. This breaks down makeup and leaves the skin super clean. There are great makeup removers to try as well, such as The Body Shop Chamomile Gentle Eye Makeup Remover and the Clinique Take the Day Off Makeup Remover for Lids, Lashes and Lips.

There are great cleansers that can be used to remove makeup too, such as the First Aid Beauty Facial Cleanser or the Mario Badescu Foaming Cleanser. Lastly, there are oil-based products that break down makeup and work with both dry and oily skin types, including the Boscia Makeup-Breakup Cool Cleansing Oil or the Josie Maran Argan Cleansing Oil.

A third way to change up your current skincare routine is with face masks, which help to hydrate and rejuvenate skin, necessary at this time of the year. There are so many on the market, made to suit virtually any skin type. If you want to treat yourself, some more pricey options include the Origins Drink Up Intensive Overnight Mask or any of the GLAMGLOW masks, both of which can be found at Sephora. For more affordable options, some of the best masks come from Lush, including the Cupcake mask, for oily skin, the Oatifix mask, for dry and flaky skin and the Mask of Magnaminy, for deep cleansing. Drugstore options include The Body Shop Tea Tree Face Mask and the Montagne Jeunesse Juiced Aloe Vera Face Spa Mask.

These are just a few ways to change up your skincare routine for the new year and the new semester to keep skin healthy and glowing all year long.

Email Sophie Lewis at [email protected]