Upcoming films demonstrate versatility, excitement

Anubhuti Kumar, Contributing Writer

With the new year comes a new batch of films for moviegoers to enjoy. The 2015 lineup includes exciting releases that run the gamut of genres.

There is no shortage of sequels to hit theaters this year. “Taken 3” was released earlier this month, and though it differs slightly from its tried-and-true kidnapping format, this final installment in the franchise is worth a watch for fans of the franchise. On a lighter note, “Hot Tub Time Machine 2” opens Feb. 20 and follows up on the hilarious antics of many characters who starred in the original. With an all-star cast, it would be a shame to miss the film.

“Insurgent” opens March 20, and with the “Divergent” series’ passionate fan-following and the first part’s major success, this movie is a must-see. Many more franchises have releases later this year, including the highly anticipated “Avengers: Age of Ultron” on May 1, “Jurassic World” on June 12, “Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2” on Nov. 20, “Star Wars: The Forces Awakens” on Dec. 18, and “Mission: Impossible V” on Dec. 25.

“The Boy Next Door,” which released on Jan. 23, and “The Loft,” which releases on Jan. 30, top the list of upcoming thrillers. The former stars Jennifer Lopez and revolves around an inappropriate relationship with her much younger neighbor. The film quickly becomes darker as the plot complicates. Lopez might not have the best track record when it comes to film, but the buzz around this movie makes it a viable option for anyone looking for a fix of excitement.

“The Loft” is the story of five men who co-own a loft in order to carry out affairs without the knowledge of their wives, and all goes well with the scheme until a girl is found in the loft murdered. Weird and unbelievable, it piques curiosity with its strangeness. Based on a successful 2008 Belgian film, this remake has the same director, Eric Van Looy, and carries high expectations.

“Mortdecai” is the latest Johnny Depp star-vehicle and promises to be a comical adventure.The movie chronicles a British Lord, played by Depp, on a mission to recover a lost painting, documenting his antics and misadventures along the way.

Disney fans will be excited for the upcoming release of a live-action version of the classic fairytale “Cinderella.” It is expected to open on March 13 and stars Lily James and Cate Blanchett. This interpretation of the age-old tale and all-star cast make it a must-see, especially for avid Disney fans.

This year promises to to be an entertaining one in regard to film. With a wide variety of offerings in every genre, all movie fans should have something to look forward to.

Email Anubhuti Kumar at [email protected].