This Weekend: Feb. 13 to 15

Dhriti Tandon, Staff Writer

Whether you’re single or taken, New York City is the perfect place to spend Valentine’s weekend with your friends or your significant other. From impressive ice sculptures to a doggie beauty pageant show, there is more than enough to do and see this weekend.

Ice Festival in Central Park

With snow covered lawns and auras of city lights, Central Park may be the ideal romantic spot for lovers, especially the Ice Festival on Valentine’s Day at the park. Artists from Okamoto Studio will carve a sparkling statue of Romeo and Juliet from 3,000 pounds of ice. You can witness this carving live on Saturday from 3 to 5 p.m. and stick around from 5 to 7 p.m. for the vibrant ’80s themed, silent disco party at the park.

Concerts and Live Music Performances

Valentine’s weekend would be incomplete without some classical romantic music. Concerts and live performances playing Valentine’s-themed music throughout the city will be sure to get you into the spirit. Check out Dianne Reeves performing smooth jazz songs at Lincoln Center on Feb. 13 and 14 at 8 p.m. Tickets start at $35. If not, opt for Latin music performances — Los Cintron will be covering the music of the Gipsy Kings at Cafe Wha? on Feb. 14 at 7 p.m. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased online. You can also enjoy Greek music performed by the Bond Street Euterpean Singing Society at the Merchant’s House Museum at 7:30 p.m..

Valentine’s Weekend at Blood Manor

If you are not the romantic type, consider attending the “Bloody Valentine’s Weekend” special at the Blood Manor on Feb. 13 and 14  from 7:30 p.m. to midnight. The all-time favorite haunted house of the city will be decorated with Valentine’s themed details: dead flowers and blood-ridden hearts, to name a few. Using the promo code Cupid will get you discounted tickets on the official Blood Manor website. You can buy tickets online for $30 or at-the-door for $35.

The Doggies and Tiaras Pageant

If you are looking forward to something sassy this weekend, you could attend The NYC Doggies and Tiaras Pageant. The event takes place on Friday at the Toyota of Manhattan, located at 645 11th Ave. from 6 to 10 p.m. 20 dogs will be competing for the Mr. and Miss Doggies and Tiaras in different categories including talent, activewear and glamour. Tickets are $30. Complimentary food and drinks will also be served. The
money raised from this event will go to the Yorkie 911 Rescue.

A version of this article appeared in the Thursday, Feb. 12 print edition. Email Dhriti Tandon at [email protected].