Dymes Only Fall/Winter 2015

Jyo Fernandes, Contributing Writer

The Dymes Only Fall/Winter 2015 presentation embodied a party atmosphere. The Highline Loft venue was divided into two spaces: on one side, the models’ attire was more formal; slinky dresses with cut-outs and tulle skirts. Interestingly, these more feminine pieces were paired with printed sweatshirts and graphic tees which although youthful, felt a little worn.

The other side held the DJ and bar, which was reflected in the shift of atmosphere. Here there was far more energy – people were dancing, congregating in large groups and generally enjoying the party. The models against the walls seemed almost an afterthought. The clothes too, were far more casual.

The models in this section wore sweatpants or stickered jeans and printed t-shirts. Overall, the looks were grungier, although with the added twist of stilettos. There was a distinct contrast between the traditionally masculine clothes and the more feminine accessories and make-up.

Michele Akers, the owner and buyer for Live in Fashion, said she “loved the collection” and had her “eye on a few of the t-shirts.” Indeed, the prints found on the t-shirts and all other garments were a focus point of the entire collection; they were both exciting and wearable. They certainly embodied the brand’s image of a “female hustler.”

The brand says that they are “authentic, innovative and reliable,” and while their clothing is not necessarily innovative, it is authentic and reliable. For a brand that is only a year old, it’s exciting to see the first steps, and at the very least, they do know how to throw a good party.