Leanne Marshall Fall/Winter 2015

Lorena Tamez, Contributing Writer

Watching Leanne Marshall’s designs glide down the runway almost reminded the show’s attendees of a warmer season. Her Fall/Winter 2015 Ready to Wear collection, in delicate silhouettes and light fabrics, warmed up what has been a freezing Fashion Week.

Marshall’s RTW collection offered the possibility of a fresh, colorful Fall and Winter with pops of color in lavender and coral red. Accents in shimmery gold brought warmth to the dominant black of her designs.

While touches of gingham on a shift dress or as a collar for a sheer long-sleeve top added a stroke of cool to her pieces, a strapless gingham mini dress with a lavender band seemed somewhat out of place on the runway. In any case, it was overshadowed next to other day-to-night, street-to-red-carpet garments.

For Project Runway fans, the Fall/Winter 2015 collection is a reflection of both the young designer who won the show’s 5th season and a designer who has evolved with every passing Fashion Week. Marshall keeps the easiness of her characteristic wave collection, but proves that she has grown up with more serious designs.

The show-stealer was—no doubt—a coral red gown with a deep V-neck. The gown had a soft A-line skirt and short sleeves, showcasing the appeal of Marshall’s wearable yet sophisticated aesthetic. As the dress flowed down the runway, the collection was almost synthesized in a single garment: sexy, smart, and effortless.

Email Lorena Tamez at [email protected]