Pamella Roland Fall/Winter 2015

Louise Lai, Contributing Writer

Billowing dresses and constructed separates took center stage as models walked down the runway for Pamella Roland’s Fall/Winter 2015 collection. The color palette was an elegant mix of burgundy, plum, navy, olive, gunmetal gray and black. Strong shoulders adorned with beading accompanied plunging necklines to give this collection a seductive yet powerful feel.

Plum jackets and capes were the focus of the first half of the show. A particularly interesting piece was an ombré coat that was plum on top and orange on the bottom, constructed with rich tweed and detailed with lace.

Voluminous and messy hair–seemingly inspired by the era of Bridgitte Bardot–contributed to the collection’s air of iconic seduction. A recent visit to France captured Roland’s attention as she turned her inspiration towards the glamour of Paris in the 1970s.

Most dresses were refined in their construction and detailing, but there were some less-than-favorable deviations to Roland’s style. Dresses occasionally had an overabundance of beading that crossed the line from tasteful adornment to unnecessary bejeweling. Roland has a large fan base from Dubai, Saudi-Arabia and Kuwait that love beading, potentially explaining the proliferation of it on nearly every piece this season.

The latter half of the show was dominated by a procession of elegant gowns. One highlight was a body hugging, floor length gown made from gunmetal gray sequins. It had daring spiral cutouts that not only flattered the figure but also added edginess to the look. Another standout dress was a navy silk gown with a kimono-like opening that plunged daringly low.

The ending piece was different to all other pieces: a white, off-the-shoulder bridal gown. It was accompanied by white feather jacket that, like the rest of the collection, was an element to the piece that gave the audience something to remember.

Email Louise Lai at [email protected]