Hall-Gregory leads Violets to winning record

via gonyuathletics.com

Women’s basketball coach Lauren Hall-Gregory has led the Violets to success this season.

Brad Waldstreicher, Contributing Writer

NYU women’s basketball coach Lauren Hall-Gregory has led effectively her whole life, both on and off the court. When Hall-Gregory, a former point guard at Hofstra University, took over as a rookie head coach in 2012, she knew that her passion for the game would help her succeed.

“As a player, I loved playing the game, competing, leading my teammates,” Hall-Gregory said. “I always thought I may make a better coach than I was a player. I am not sure I ever knew until I got my first opportunity as an assistant coach. It was then that I knew coaching was exactly what I was supposed to be doing.”

Now in her third season, Hall-Gregory’s competitive spirit is rubbing off on her team, as the Violets are currently 20-3 overall and 9-3 in the University Athletic Association. After a turnaround season in 2013-2014, the Violets are seeking their second consecutive postseason appearance.

“Our team is very proud of the winning record, but I think more importantly I am proud of the hard work each of the players and coaches has put into getting the most out of the season,” Hall-Gregory said. “That is really how we measure success in our program. Winning games comes down to having talented, committed players and getting them to buy into a team mentality. We have both.”

Hall-Gregory has enjoyed playing the assisting role in her career as a coach and player. At Hofstra, she was the conference’s leader in assists and finished her career as the school’s fourth all-time leader in that category. Later on, Hall-Gregory was the assistant coach at Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, Connecticut. During her tenure, Sacred Heart reached the Division I NCAA tournament twice. Hall-Gregory cites work ethic, commitment and positive attitude as the key factors of a successful basketball team.

“The basketball season is marathon, not a sprint,” Hall-Gregory said. “As a team we are bound to have highs and lows throughout the season. At the end of the day each person just needs to show up the next day to work hard for each other. If you do that then the season will be a success.”

When coaching, Hall-Gregory focuses on developing individual talent while teaching team values. After being named the UAA’s Rookie of the Year, junior forward Megan Dawe was named to the conference’s All-UAA team. Off the court, Hall-Gregory ensures that her players are performing well academically. In the winter season, four Violets were named to the UAA Winter Sport All-Academic team.

The Violet’s incredible record this season has put the program on a pedestal with added pressure. Hall-Gregory’s impact at NYU has been immediate and extraordinary, and going into the NCAA tournament, the Violets are thrilled to have her as their coach, leader, and mentor. They will play again on Feb. 28 at Brandeis University.

“Our only expectation is that we control the controllables — energy, effort and attitude,” Hall-Gregory said. “We believe if we do that we will continue to get better as a team and play up to our ability. I want them to enjoy the opportunity and have no regrets.”

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, Feb. 24 print edition. Email Brad Waldstreicher at [email protected].