Save some sights for a rainy day

February 26, 2015

In Florence, a city filled with beautiful museums, art galleries and churches, it is easy to find a way to spend a rainy day.

9:00 Start your day off with a quick cappuccino and cream-filled croissant at Gilli, an iconic cafe on the corner of Piazza della Repubblica. A favorite of locals and tourists alike, Gilli is one of the oldest cafes in Florence. Take your breakfast like a true Italian, standing at the bar inside, or sit at one of the covered tables outside for people-watching.

10 a.m. Housing some of the world’s most famous pieces of artwork, including Botticelli’s The Birth of Venus, the Uffizi Gallery is a must-see. It is one of the biggest tourist attractions in Florence, with wait times reaching up to five hours during peak season. Avoid the lines by buying tickets in advance, or visiting on a weekday morning.

1 p.m. Stop for lunch at the Mercato Centrale, an expansive two-story market building in the heart of the San Lorenzo district. The upper level of the building functions as a food court, with over 20 vendor stands selling delicious traditional Tuscan food. Order a full entree from one stand, or branch out by trying smaller plates from a few stalls. Once you’ve finished lunch, take some time to explore the lower level, where vendors sell every sort of fresh produce, meats and goods imaginable. Pick up a bottle of local olive oil or Chianti wine as a souvenir.

5 p.m. Brush up on your fashion history by visiting the Gucci Museum or the Salvatore Ferragamo Museum. The Gucci Museum explores the history of the celebrated Florentine fashion brand with permanent exhibitions of iconic looks, while the Salvatore Ferragamo Museum houses over 10,000 models of shoes created by the famous shoe designer, including models that belonged to Ava Gardner and Marilyn Monroe.

8 p.m. While by no means a hidden-gem or well kept secret, Gusta Pizza has rightfully earned its reputation as the best pizza in Florence. Shaped with a thick crust, sprinkled with a liberal helping of cheese and cooked to perfection in a wood-fired oven, one of Gusta’s personal pizzas is a well-deserved ending to a busy day.