Roundup of London Fashion Week styles

London Fashion Week was held at the Somerset House.

Rachel Cao, Contributing Writer

Immediately after New York Fashion Week, designers and models traveled across the ocean to London for London Fashion Week. But in a week where the fashion community is meant to gain insight into new trends, designers instead honored fashions from previous decades. “More is more” was the central idea this season, with an departure from the minimalism of past seasons to celebrate the extravagance and opulence that defines fashion.  Here are some of the standout shows and trends from LFW Fall/Winter 2015.

Simone Rocha

The designer presented perfectly undone dresses with ruffled edges and unraveled hemlines. The designer said she used the work of Louise Bourgeois as inspiration for her work, which could be seen in her tapestry, padded velvet blouses, beading and ruffles at the hemlines of her designs.  The collection was dark and dramatic, a break from the clear ’70s trend this season.

Burberry Prorsum

The silhouettes and prints harken back to the free love of the ’60s era. The catwalk was flooded with the brand’s signature outerwear, reinvented in colorful floral patterns. The show included a multicolored patterned poncho, a fringed burgundy suede cape and many floral prints inspired by Durham quilting sprinkled in between. The collection featured a range of colors that are flattering for many skintones, including bright teal, forest green, burgundy and light brown.

Erdem

Erdem’s collection resembled a ’50s living room — floral, vintage and romantic. The British
Designer of the Year featured stunning colors of rose pink, navy, electric green and hints of bright red and purple in the brocade fabrics.  The line was extravagant and had innovative coat silhouettes and A-line dresses with flattering cut outs. Some pieces — such as a seemingly hairy purple, red, pink and black coat — did not flow as well with the rest of the collection and were a bit over-designed, but the show as a whole was
beautifully done.

Mary Katrantzou

Katrantzou decided to stay true to her roots of loud and colorful patterns by matching new and old textiles in her latest collection. Her show explored the pairing of ornate embellishments in contemporary materials, such as cellophane frills and plastic peplums. Many of the concepts seemed impractical, but there was certainly no shortage of innovation in the show.

Topshop Unique

Celebrity favorite Topshop showcased the ’60s and ’70s, following suit with most shows this season. The coats stood out from the rest of the clothes, featured in oversized shapes with presumably faux fur accents on the cuffs and collars.  Another highlight was hair and makeup, which highlighted the models’ natural beauty by focusing on strong brows, rosy cheeks and messy hair. 

‘No makeup’ makeup

High fashion and a lack of makeup was a rare combination until a few seasons ago, but it now seems to dominate the runway. At shows from Emilia Wickstead, Christopher Kane and Peter Pilotto, makeup artists highlighted natural beauty with subtle contouring of the cheekbones, dewy skin, neutral shadows and nude, glossy lips.

Red lipstick

On the other side of the spectrum from the no makeup look is the bright red lip, another makeup trend prevalent this season. This trend could be seen on the runways at Antonio Berardi and Roksanda in bright hues. The look is easily affordable for everyone, making it a staple of all fashionistas.

A version of this article appeared in the March 4 print edition.  Email Rachel Cao at [email protected]