Cut cost of your cut and color

Calvin Falk

Aloxxi is a popular product that makes hair rich in color.

Sam Del Rowe, Staff Writer

With Kim Kardashian and Jared Leto lightening up their locks, platinum blonde is back on trend. While you might be a pro at dying your hair yourself, this is one color you will not want to attempt in the bathroom sink. Take it from someone who, in freshman year of high school, attempted to mix platinum blonde in with his natural jet black and wound up with an orange mushroom cut — you definitely want professional help with this one. If you are looking to go blonde this spring, check out the following relatively inexpensive options.

Fox & Jane Salon
277 East 10th St

An East Village staple, Fox & Jane also has locations in the Lower East Side, the Upper West Side and Brooklyn. But do not let the locations fool you; the prices at this salon are hardly akin to the exorbitant ones expected. Single process color treatment starts at $89, and all haircuts start at $50. You can book an
appointment online.

Graceland Brooklyn
677 Lorimer St

This oddball Brooklyn joint offers both hair and tattoo services — so if you are interested in some ink to go with your fresh cut, this may be the place for you. In terms of hair, men’s cuts start at $60, women’s start at $85 and chemical services start at $95. The name is indeed a reference to The King, making for an overall one-of-a-kind grooming experience.

The Owl & The Pussycat Salon
154 Vanderbilt Avenue (Brooklyn)

This Brooklyn salon has everything from bang trims at $15 to full highlights at $175. Described on Instagram as the “Unofficial Beautifiers of Brownstone Brooklyn,” you definitely won’t get a standard service here. Single Process color treatment is $78 and haircuts range from $75 to $92.

Panyc Salon
36 W. 17th St., Fifth Floor

Located in the Flatiron District, Panyc is run by three Texans who sought to open a stylish yet affordable New York City salon. Services range in price according to your stylist: a haircut with a junior stylist is $75, while one with a senior stylist is $85 and one with a master stylist is $100. Color treatments have a similar price range: junior colorist services are priced at $75, a senior colorist costs $85 and a master colorist is $105.

Shampoo Avenue B
14 Ave. B

Established in 2006, this salon offers haircuts for both men and women as well as a selection of color services, including a “punk color service,” priced upon consultation. Women’s haircuts start at $60 and color services at $80, while color consultations are complimentary. They also offer student discounts of 10 percent with valid ID.

A version of this article appeared in the March 25 print edition.  Email Sam Del Rowe at [email protected]