Face heat with resistant makeup

Mathilde van Tulder

These products will last even through the summer heat.

Grace Halio, Contributing Writer

With the weather finally warming up, it becomes hard for makeup to last through a busy school day. There is nothing worse than having mascara run down your face when you are running to class, so here is a melt-proof makeup guide for combatting the heat.

The key to keeping your face in the summer is using a really effective scrub and light moisturizer to get rid of toxins but still keep skin hydrated. Lush’s Herbalism Cleanser ($13.95) clears oils from the skin and prevents breakouts but is not as harsh as something like the St. Ives Apricot Scrub ($4.49). It is important to moisturize every night or morning, or even both if you are prone to dry patches. If the skin is dehydrated, it will produce more oils, which is certainly something to avoid in the heat. Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion ($5-$38) smoothes cleansed and exfoliated skin, which will make your face a perfect palette for whatever makeup you decide to apply.

Gallatin freshman Phoebe Walsh said Neutrogena Shine Control Foundation ($11.99) is a great
long-lasting foundation. 

“It’s never failed me,” Walsh said. “I think that works well with my skin and it’s never clogged my pores, which is really important.”

Another option is to skip foundation and opt for a concealer. An effective and affordable one is the e.l.f. studio Maximum Coverage Concealer. Add a touch of matte bronzer to give the illusion of more definition; a great one to try is the Too Faced Soleil Matte Bronzer ($30). For a highlight, use Benefit’s Watt’s Up! Luminizer ($30). It comes in stick form and travels easily, so you don’t run the risk of it breaking the way a powder would if you throw it in your makeup bag. A highlighter will add some glow to your complexion when blended on your cheeks and brow bones.

For eyes, go for a stick eyeshadow instead of a powder because it will hold out better in the heat. Prime first with the e.l.f. Eyelid Primer ($3), and then use Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint For Eyes ($17). It comes in 17 different colors, giving you a wide range of options for both the night and the day.

The final step in creating your eye look is a swipe of liner.  Tisch sophomore Megan Tomei suggests the Sephora Brand of liner ($12) for its smooth consistency and affordable price.

“It’s so great for any time of day, and any season,” Tomei said. “The price and quality are unbeatable. I wear it year round because I basically hide behind my black liner, and the Sephora Collection one isn’t too sheer or liquidy.”

If you aren’t yet skilled in the art of liquid liner, try the self-sharpening Maybelline Unstoppable Eyeliner ($7.49) or the NARS Eyeliner Pencil ($23). Use Clinique High Impact Mascara ($16.50) or Maybelline Great Lash Waterproof Mascara ($5.99) to get long lashes that will not run throughout the day.

Lastly, add a bit of color to your lips with Covergirl Outlast Lipstain ($8.99). Using a matte product means you will not have to worry about having your hair get stuck in your lipgloss. The Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Color Balm ($19) is an alternative that is non-greasy, but has a bit more shine. Do not forget to prime your lips with a summer essential: lip balm.

Finish your fresh face by using Urban Decay’s All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray ($14-$30), toss Clean and Clear blotting papers ($5.99) into your bag — just in case you need a quick clean-up — and you are set to take on the summer heat.

A version of this article appeared in the April 2 print edition.  Email Grace Halio at [email protected]