Crime Log: March 26 to April 1

Lexi Faunce, Staff Writer

The NYU Department of Public Safety received reports of six incidents of larceny, two incidents of controlled substance possession, one incident of burglary, one incident of arson and one incident of harassment between March 26 and April 1.

Larceny

At 8:50 p.m. on March 26, Public Safety received a report that a student’s purse had gone missing from the Weinstein Dining Hall. The purse was returned with $80 in cash missing.

At 4:20 p.m. on March 27, Public Safety notified the New York City Police Department that a student’s purse was stolen from the back of her chair while she was working on her computer at the Starbucks on West Fourth Street.

At 5:23 p.m. on March 27, Public Safety received a report that a student’s bag including $1,500 worth of items was stolen in Weinstein Dining Hall between 4 and 5:23 p.m.

At 8:55 p.m. on March 28, Public Safety received a report that a student’s purse was stolen from the back of her chair at Starbucks.

At 10:15 p.m. on March 28, Public Safety received a report that a contract employee had his jacket containing a wallet and a gold ring stolen between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. The employee did not file a police report.

At 9:30 p.m. on April 1, a student declared she found her bicycle missing between 8:40 a.m. and 8 p.m. after locking it to a street sign in front of Meyer Hall.

Controlled Substance

At 7:35 p.m. on March 27, Public Safety confiscated a small amount of marijuana along with drug paraphernalia from a Third North Residence Hall room.

At 10:19 p.m. on March 28, Public Safety recovered a small amount of marijuana and drug paraphernalia from a Brittany Residence Hall room.

Burglary

At 5:20 p.m. on March 27, Public Safety received a report that a staff member’s backpack had been stolen from his office at 4:30 p.m. The staff member recovered his backpack from the burglar, but later noticed his cell phone was no longer there.

Arson

At 2 p.m. on March 30, Public Safety received a report from Othmer Residence Hall staff that video footage showed a student setting fire to a piece of clothing in the laundry room at 8:11 p.m. on March 22.

Harassment

At 8:25 p.m. on March 30, a Gramercy Green student reported he had been receiving phone calls from an unknown female for several months. NYPD was contacted, but a police report was not filed.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, April 6 print edition. Email Lexi Faunce at [email protected].