Food blogs highlight best food in city

Natalia Barr, Contributing Writer

Many of us resort to using Yelp or Google when we are in a pinch for finding a the best nearby restaurant or a good recipe, but sometimes a blind search is unreliable. Referring to food blogs can solve this problem. Whether you need a recipe on a budget or want to know if that new restaurant is really worth its prices, food bloggers do the hard work for you and can give you answers. Try turning to these five New York City food blogs so you won’t have to waste your time, money or appetite again.

Food by Skyler

NYU alumna Skyler Bouchard began her blog in October 2012 to show off her cooking and dining experiences as a student in New York City. Since then, she has gained a tremendous following on her website and Instagram @nycdining, later beginning NYU Spoon, a branch of the website Spoon University that answers all food-related questions for college students. Both websites offer relatable and reliable advice on cooking and dining for college students in New York City.

The Infatuation

This blog and Instagram has become one of New York City’s most trusted sources for restaurant suggestions. What started as a blog by music industry workers Chris Stang and Andrew Steinthal, who wanted to document the various restaurants they visited, turned into an entire empire that also caters to crowds in San Francisco, Denver and Chicago. Though the blog has grown, the writers pride themselves on not being professional food critics and their simple writing style for “anyone who is serious about food but doesn’t take food too seriously.”

Not Eating Out in New York

There are many reasons to avoid eating out, especially when you are on a budget or are health-conscious. Cathy Erway decided to escape the New York City restaurant scene, and created her blog in an attempt to preserve the creativity and art that can be found in food.  All of Erway’s recipes are original and contain mainly local, seasonal and healthy ingredients.

Eating in Translation

As one of the most diverse cities in the world, New York City represents many countries and cuisines in its restaurant scene. Dave Cook began his blog in 2005 as a collection of field notes to cover food from all over the world that can all be found in or near the city. Cook tries food that is foreign to him and lets readers know if it is worth giving a try.

Smitten Kitchen

As college students living in New York City, most NYU students do not have a lot to work with when it comes to cooking. Deb Perelman began her blog from her 80-square-foot kitchen to show off how many cooking creations could come out of such a small space. Perelman avoids excessive and pricey ingredients, even featuring a section of recipes on her website for those who are on a budget.

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, April 7th print edition. Email Natalia at [email protected].