NYU club hosts show for new, old talent

Hannah Shulman

Armor-Lux participated in the ACE Fashion Show.

Se Won Park, Contributing Writer

The Asian Cultural Expressions club held the ACE:32 Muse Fashion Show last Friday. This fashion show marked the 32nd anniversary of the fashion organization and showcased 11 collections total, with four musical performances and raffle prizes throughout the event.

This year, ACE partnered with the Museum of Chinese in America to raise awareness for Chinese heritage in the Unites States today, expanding on Chinese aesthetics as well as their fashion interests.

Many student designers from outside NYU contributed to the show, from Judy Greco’s classical, feminine pieces inspired by Italian landscapes and previous Dolce and Gabbana collections to Dalton Taylor’s edgy, boxy clothes inspired by Ghesquiere’s work for Balenciaga.

CAS senior Lindsey Lee said the show offered a variety of traditional and avant-garde silhouettes.

“The show itself was very diverse,” Lee said.  “It was cool to see my classmates walk the runway and see what they have accomplished.”

In addition to the innovative student designers, other more well-established designers also took part of the show such as Henri Bendel and Jill Stuart. These collections included brightly-colored spring handbags and clutches, as well as evening gowns. Bendel’s show was particularly interesting because it featured female and male models, with the women choosing which man they wanted to walk with based on the handbags they held.

All of the models were NYU students, many of whom had never modeled before, including CAS sophomore Jacky Wong.

“This was my first time modelling,” Wong said. “I walked in three shows and my favorite was the Henri Bendel show because the guys and girls were able to interact with each other on stage and it gave more chemistry to the show.”

The models clearly had fun on the runway and raved about their experiences after the show.

“This was my first time modeling, and it was like what you see on TV,” CAS sophomore Daniel Lee said. “Everyone was so busy practicing and changing backstage, it was crazy. But overall, it was a great experience and I want to do it next year as well.”

Steinhardt sophomore Lina Chabria said the models also influenced how the show was produced.

“I loved modeling for the show,” Chabria said. We got to chose our own outfits from the brands that we walked for and I got to make some great friends with the models from this experience.”

Other performances included Steinhardt sophomore Sam Kang, artist MC Jin, Brooklyn artist Sandflower and the NYU Breakdance Club. College of Nursing sophomore Lisa Huang said she particularly enjoyed MC Jin.

“I loved how MC Jin was able to engage the audience, he did a great job making the crowd laugh and dance,” Huang said.

A version of this article appeared in the April 22 print edition.  Email Se Won Park at [email protected]