Best eateries of the East Village

Hannah Shulman

Dos Toros has six locations in the city, including one just south of Union Square.

Cristina Fraga, Contributing Writer

The East Village, a neighborhood home to many NYU students, has many different dining options that are delicious and student-budget friendly. Grabbing a quick bite between or after classes or treating yourself to a leisurely meal is easy and accessible at these East Village eateries.

If you are looking for a hearty, filling option, Artichoke Basille’s Pizza is the perfect spot.  Located at 328 E. 14th St., their pizzas are known to be some of the best in town. Each slice is about $4.50 depending on what kinds of pizza you get, and they can deliver straight to your dorm. Though the slices are slightly more expensive than other pizza places, they are large and dense enough to fill you up.

Luke’s Lobster is a great choice if you are looking for seafood. Located at 93 E. Seventh St., the restaurant’s prices range from $15 to $30. It is famous for its lobster, crab and shrimp rolls as well as their delicious soups. All of their ingredients come directly from Maine. Keep in mind the restaurant is tiny, with just eight stools in this cozy East Village location.

If you are in the mood for Japanese cuisine, Ippudo is one of the best choices in the East Village for ramen. Located at 65 Fourth Ave., its Hakata tonkotsu pork soup and extra thin noodles are well known in the area. Ramen dishes cost around $15, which is reasonable due to the very generous portions.

Dos Toros is also a very popular Mexican food option in the East Village. Your can find one of their many restaurants at 137 Fourth Ave., which is only one block away from Union Square. Dos Toros’ quick and efficient system of ordering includes choices of rice, beans, protein, guacamole, chips and other options. Burritos, bowls and other options are offered, and you can be in and out of the restaurant with a delicious meal in less than five minutes.

If you are not looking for a main meal, there is always dessert. Spot Dessert Bar is located at 13 St. Marks Place and offers customers delicious and beautifully presented sweets. Choices include cupcakes, dessert tapas, macaroons, cookies, cakes and a huge variety of drinks.  The restaurant’s number-one seller is its chocolate green tea lava cake, which is topped with green tea ganache and green tea ice cream. If you want to satisfy your sweet tooth without leaving your dorm, Spot Dessert Bar also delivers.

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, April 28 print edition. Email Cristina Fraga at [email protected].