Ideal NYC spots to date and break up

Valentina Bojanini, Editor-in-Chief

DATES

New York is perfect if you’re looking to go on dates that resemble love montages in romantic comedies. Next time someone agrees to go out with you, consider one of these date options.

The IKEA ferry
Don’t worry, we’re not suggesting you take your date to IKEA. You probably live in a dorm, what are you going to do with more furniture? The IKEA ferry, however, is a different story. If you head over to Pier 11 on weekends you can catch the ferry for free. The first stop is Fairway market in Red Hook, so hop off, grab some picnic supplies and hang out by the water. If you stay until sunset, you’ll have breathtaking views of the city.

Dumbo
Next time you feel like having a romantic bridge date, head on over to the Manhattan Bridge. With beautiful view of the city and virtually no tourists, this is the perfect alternative to the Brooklyn Bridge. And on the other side of the East River, you can take advantage of everything the neighborhood has to offer, including cool book stores, Jane’s Carousel and the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory.

Coney Island 
If you like your date enough to sit through a 45 minute ride on the Q train, then you’ll love Coney Island’s endless possibilities. You can go for a walk on the beach or the boardwalk, then grab a hot dog from Nathan’s like a proper tourist. Once you’ve digested, you and your date can head over to Luna Park to risk your life on the Cyclone, and win each other oversized stuffed animals as a show of affection. What could go wrong?

BREAKING UP 

All good things come to an end. When you decide to break up, here are a few perfect places to say, “It’s not you, it’s me.”

Times Square
Everyone knows this tourist vortex is the worst place on earth, so if you decide to break up with your significant other here, you don’t have to worry about ruining a place you actually like. In fact, they will probably be mad you brought them there in the first place, and might be more receptive to the idea of breaking up. After it’s over, you can make a quick escape on one of the many subway lines, and there are plenty of people dressed like Elmo that roam around and give people hugs, so your ex won’t feel so alone.

Parks
Parks seem like an obvious choice for breaking up, but there are some important tips to keep in mind. Don’t pick a park you actually like. You don’t want to walk past the bench where you broke someone’s heart and ruin a stroll through your favorite park. Go to an unpleasant one like Madison Square Park — it is so full of tourists stuffed with Shake Shack, it’s not like you would want to hang out there on your own time. And remember, the beauty of parks is that they’re public yet private, so don’t sit right next to some couple on a date when you’re breaking up with yours.

The Bean
Another option is any of The Bean’s lovely coffee shop locations. You and your soon-to-be ex will fit right in among the other depressed poets, writers and students mooching Wi-Fi and pretending the coffee tastes better than it does. You can even soften the blow a stale pastry and inspiring indie music. A pro tip, avoid going there during peak hours, or you’ll have to break up with your date while standing.

A print version of this article appeared in the Food and Fun Guide. Email Valentina Bojanini at [email protected].