Promising Players to Watch: Fall 2015

Kyle Luther, Deputy Sports Editor

Lexi Clarke – Soccer
Lexi Clarke, a junior midfielder for the Violets women’s soccer team from Round Hill, Virginia, first played with NYU after transferring in her sophomore year and appeared in all 19 games last year. Clarke led the team in assists and shots and was third in points and shots on goal. She earned an ECAC Metro First Team All-Star spot and helped the Violets qualify for the NCAA DIII Championship Tournament. This season, Clarke looks to lead the Violets again on offense and lead the team past the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Nicole Frias – Volleyball
The senior middle blocker Nicole Frias from Marin County, California, is looking to build on her three years of success after leading the team in kills, points, points per set, hitting percentage and blocks last year. Frias notched double-digit kills eight times last year and scored as many as 15 kills in a single match. On the defensive side, Frias recorded three or more blocks 11 times last year including a career-high eight against Brandeis University. She, along with the rest of the volleyball team, will look to turn in a campaign more like her sophomore year, where the team qualified for the NCAA tournament.

Nathan Pike – Wrestling
In wrestling, junior Nathan Pike looks to build on his breakout performance from last year. The CAS junior went 25-9 in the 133-lb. weight class, helping the grapplers to their best finish in program history. Pike only had one fall and won nine major decisions last year. Topping off last season, Pike placed sixth at the NCAA Championships and second at the NCAA East Regional.

Megan Dawe – Basketball
Coming off a solid junior season where she started all 23 games as a co-captain, Megan Dawe will aim to lead her team even further into the NCAA tournament than their third-round exit last year. In the 2014-15 season, Dawe led the team in both scoring and rebounds and was a steadying presence down low all year. She worked a double-double against the University of Rochester and scored a season high 29 points against the University of Chicago. Dawe was named to the First Team All-UAA team and finished fourth in both scoring and field goal percentage and seventh in rebounding in the the Violets’ league.

Austin Campitelli – Swimming & Diving
Sophomore Austin Campitelli appears poised to build on her tremendous freshman year on the women’s diving team. During her first year on the team, the CAS sophomore from Los Altos, California, set the 1-meter dive record with a score of 459.60 and earned five UAA weekly awards. Campitelli also qualified for the NCAA Championships after posting a 267.5 in the 3-meter dive against the College of New Jersey. It appears as though the breakout freshman star will continue her dominance and help the women’s diving team to another stellar season.

A version of this article appeared in the Saturday, August 29 print edition. Email Kyle Luther at [email protected]