Mystery concert line up revealed

Vic Mensa, SOPHIE and Tei Shi will be performing at this year’s mystery concert.

Kieran Graulich, Music Editor

The 2015 lineup for the NYU Program Board’s Mystery Concert has been revealed: Vic Mensa, SOPHIE and Tei Shei will rock the Skirball Center for the Performing Arts for an audience of almost 1,000 people at the annual Welcome Week event.

Past lineups have included big names such as eclectic rapper Danny Brown, hip hop legend Ghostface Killa, electronica up and comer Jamie XX, to name a few, and this year’s names promise to be equally unforgettable.

Headliner Vic Mensa is best known for being Kanye West’s most recent protégé, and he recently stirred the pot when his outfit at the Video Music Awards made a statement regarding police violence against African-Americans. His debut single “Down on My Luck” debuted last year and gained him recognition, and his follow-up single “U Mad” features presidential hopeful Kanye West.

SOPHIE is a London-based electronic producer who specializes in making loud, bouncy and very cutesy indie electronica; his single “Lemonade” turned heads in 2014 with SOPHIE’s signature bubblegum bass, thick production and chipmunked vocals. SOPHIE’s shows, like his music, are often loud, colorful and gaudy, making him a perfect fit for the Mystery Concert.

The opener Tei Shi, who mixes the sounds of shoegaze, R&B and indie pop, is a relatively new name in music, making her debut just two years ago. However, in those two years she has managed to collaborate with Glass Animals and released her first EP, Saudade. Her blend of sensual bedroom R&B and her eccentric personality make her an interesting artist to watch.

The doors for the Mystery Concert open tomorrow at 7 p.m., with the show starting at 8. The lines get notoriously long, so if you plan on attending, arrive early.

Email Kieran Graulich at kgraulich@nyunews.