Staff recs: sports in the city

Shawn Paik

The NYU Ice Hockey team playing at the Sky Rink at Chelsea Piers is a great way to experience a fun sporting event.

Sports Staff

Pier 25 Mini Golf
By Shawn Paik, Editor-At-Large

With the start of school and the coming of winter, it only gets harder to make the trip to Long Island or New Jersey to golf. Luckily, NYU is only a 30-minute walk to Pier 25, where you can get your calorie burn going with a game of miniature golf. For only $5, you can practice your putt on all types of terrain with your friends, the kid you’re babysitting or anyone from Stern.

NYU Hockey at Chelsea Piers
By Bobby Wagner, Sports Editor

After being part of the WSN sports desk for more than a year now, I’ve spent a decent chunk of time at Violet sporting events. Almost all the games I’ve been to have been competitive, even if they’ve been a little empty in the stands. As cliche as it might be for the sports editor to plug an NYU sport, there really isn’t a bad choice to make.

One of the best games I’ve been to was at the Sky Rink in Chelsea Piers, where the NYU Hockey team plays. Whether you know anything about hockey or not, the sport is one of the most thrilling and impressive athletic displays you’ll ever see. Our team, the Division II American Hockey Coaches Association 2014-15 National Champions, never fails to put on a good show. And, on top of all that, the fans come out in droves to bang on the glass, chant and holler at other teams, and have a great time. So pack your coat, bring your friends and try to teach yourself what an icing call is on your way to Chelsea Piers — or you could just yell loudly when the little black thing goes in the net.

Argentine Super Classico (River Plate vs. Boca Juniors) at Legends, Sunday Sept. 13 at 5:15 p.m.
By Francisco Navas, Social Media Editor

Although it might be lame to suggest the most played-out soccer bar in Manhattan, second only to Nevada Smiths, El Super Classico at Legends (6 W. 33rd St.) is always lit. Legends is home to the New York branch of the official River Plate Fan Club, and we turn up when it comes time to watch our team play Boca, or Bosta as we call them — Google Translate that on your own time. Get in there about half an hour before the game if you want to secure standing room.

With over a hundred years of history between the two most winningest Argentine clubs, the atmosphere will not fail to entertain even the most casual sports fan. If you stand on my side, be ready to sing songs that literally wish death upon Boca fans — in Spanish, of course. I will sing them with no shame. Surely, my voice will be broken for the following day or two. Drums will roar throughout, and it’s very likely that you’ll see grown men cry. Hopefully, the ones dressed in Blue and Yellow, not Red and White. Maybe some blood too. There’s usually at least one fight at these things.

If you’re not really that into soccer you could enjoy this as a cultural experience, to help you understand the importance of soccer in Argentine culture. You might hear a word or two on how it intersects with the government and social reality overall.

East River Park
Alex Bazeley, News Editor

Finding a real space in New York City get sporty can be frustrating, but if you’re looking to have a game of catch, toss the pigskin around or score a couple goals, East River Park over on FDR Drive is the place to go. Located right on the river, this multi-use public park has plenty of room to get a breath of air outside the hustle and bustle of the city. With baseball and soccer fields, basketball and tennis courts, and a track if you really want to get your blood pumping, make sure to get that exercise in at this spacious park before the cold hits.

New York Mets at Flushing Meadows
By Michael Thompson, Staff Writer

As a lifelong Mets fan, to me there’s nothing much better than heading to Flushing Meadows to see the New York Mets. Thanks to the LIRR and subway systems, students can easily access the stadium from campus. Even better, NYU occasionally provides its students with free tickets to games, and if you go to the Mets’ website you can get student tickets for $10. So for those of you who want to enjoy professional baseball for a cheap price, go see the best team in New York.

Central Park
By Kyle Luther, Deputy Sports Editor

It’s often difficult to find a place around the NYU campus to play outdoor sports such as football or soccer because of crowds in Washington Square Park. That being said, it might be worth your while to use your MetroCard and head up to Central Park on the weekends. There’s wide open grass, water fountains and vendors. Yes, the subway keeps getting more expensive, but if you want the space, Central Park has it. Afterward, you can always look for someplace new in Midtown to grab a bite to eat.

Email the Sports Staff at [email protected].