Tennis opens season with mixed results

via gonyuathletics.com

Schnabel went 2-0 for the Violets on Saturday

Rachel Ruecker, Contributing Writer

Amid all the U.S. Open excitement, the NYU men’s and women’s tennis teams got their seasons underway with a tournament Friday and Saturday at The College of New Jersey in Ewing, New Jersey.

On Friday, the doubles teams took the court with mixed results. The men’s and women’s teams started 2-2 on the first day, but dropped three out of four games on the second day to finish 3-5.

For the men’s team, there were positive takeaways from their overall losing records. Freshman Shrikar Kundur and Matt DeMichiel, junior Umberto Setter and freshman Benedict Teoh, and senior Sidd Thangirala and freshman Yanik Parsch all emerged victorious. Their teammates, junior Sammy Aronson and senior David Zumwalt, were narrowly bested 9-8 in one of the closest matches of the day. Parsch was pleased with the way the team, even after losses, remained positive and focused.

“There was no negative body language or negative emotions,” Parsch said. “I think that we will perform very well in the upcoming tournaments based on seeing our intense practices and strong devotion to the success of the team.”

The women’s team received strong performances from senior Carmen Lai and junior Laila El Dessouki, two upperclassmen who had an extraordinary run as a pair last season. The two took their opening match 8-5. Senior captain Madeline King and her sophomore partner Nicole Schnabel took their match by the same count. Freshmen pair Allie McGinty and Vanessa Scott also performed well early in their first season with the squad, cruising to a comfortable 8-3 victory. Lai was pleased with the early-season showing of their first-year players.

“It was so great to see our three freshmen performed very well with excellent sportsmanship,” Lai said. “We have a much stronger team com pared with last year. And I hope we will achieve higher as a team in the coming matches.”

On Saturday, the singles competition was in full swing. The men’s team finished 8-6 in the tournament, which included many standout performances. Setter, who enjoyed success the previous day beat Pierce Cooper — TCNJ’s star — in straight sets. Straight sets seemed to be the theme of the day as DeMichiel and Parsch followed their Friday successes with 2-0 singles records on that day.

The women finished an even 10-10 split in their singles showing. Lai, Schnabel, Scott and McGinty all won 2-0 during their singles matches. El Dessouki was also victorious with her impressive 6-1, 6-4 score against TCNJ’s Maddy Stoner. King, the squad’s captain, capped things off with 6-1, 6-3 win.

The Violets will compete next at the Vassar College Invitational Sept. 19 and 20.

A version of this article appeared in the Sept. 14 print edition. Email Rachel Ruecker at [email protected].