Cross country on track to triumph

Saddler (left) and Corsaro (right) compete at the Dickinson Long-Short Invitational.

via gonyuathletics.com

Rachel Ruecker, Contributing Writer

NYU’s cross-country teams were back in action this weekend in their second contest of the year at the Dickinson Long-Short Invitational in Newville, Pennsylvania.

Another strong showing from the men’s team saw them come in third place with only Carnegie Mellon and host Dickinson besting them. On the 8k course, NYU had seven finishers among the Top 25 — of nearly 200 runners — including exciting displays from junior Jorge Maldonado (25:58) who finished third, Karn Setya (26:01) who was not far behind in fourth, though a wrong turn cost Setya what could’ve been a victory. Competitive performances were also delivered by 11th place finisher, sophomore Neil Saddler (26:26); 14th place finisher, sophomore Max Mudd (26:39); 17th place finisher, senior Daniel Rieger (26:42); 22nd place finisher, senior Tanner McMahon (26:59); and 25th place finisher, sophomore Jordan Reyes (27:18). The 4k had successes of its own with junior Nick Karam (12:24) coming in seventh and freshman Matt Osubor ten spots behind. Osubor said he will use this experience to vault himself into better contention for the rest of the season.

“It was a great learning experience for us younger guys and hopefully we can put what we learned into practice in two weeks,” Osubor said. “The older guys were fantastic — solid and consistent — and that’s what we’ll need moving forward.”

For a sport that is a general crescendo towards the end of the season, Maldonado believes their success will carry over to other competitions later on.

“The whole team gave a solid performance that should be a good indicator of what’s to come,” Maldonado said. “The season is long so we look forward to giving our best when it matters most.”

The Violet women also ran well, with the seniors showing dominance in their last year on the team. The 4k saw seniors Lily Corsaro and Becky Turlip come in ninth and fourteenth with times of 15:23 and 15:42, respectively. A scoring
issue — in which runners finished in the wrong chutes and scorer’s combined 4k and 6k times — prevented senior Sarah Sisk, who also serves as the team’s captain, from showing up on the results page. Freshman Stephanie Brooks also competed in the 4k, completing the course with a time of 18:14.

In the women’s 6k, junior Erica Bohdan was the highest finisher for the Violets, with a placement of 18th and a time of 23:52. Other finishers in the 6k included sophomores Hannah Haley, Emily Dethlefs, Maggie Lalowski and Lara Dorsky, who came in 25th, 26th, 27th and 44th, respectively.

The Violets will continue working hard to maintain this positive trend in preparation for the NYC Metropolitan Championship on Oct. 9th at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx.

A version of this article appeared in the Sept. 28 print edition. Email Rachel Ruecker at [email protected].