5 places to forage for fun this fall break

Patrick Pauley, Contributing Writer

After almost six arduous weeks overloaded with homework, readings and midterms, fall break has finally arrived. Don’t snooze through this invaluable recess in an attempt to catch up on lost sleep. Instead, escape the city and explore what the surrounding area has to offer.

Dia:Beacon
Situated on the banks of the Hudson River, this museum possesses an appeal even beyond its art. With scenic views, stunning skylights and a famed collection of art from the 1960s and onward, this museum is a must-see destination for art lovers everywhere. Buy the Dia:Beacon package from a Metro-North ticket office to save a few dollars that you can spend in the museum bookstore instead.
Hours: 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Travel Time: 80 minutes from Grand Central Terminal
Estimated Cost: $36.50 round-trip ticket (includes art museum ticket)

Van Cortlandt Park
Don’t let the beauty of fall escape without spending some time outside. Bring some friends to this woodland in the Bronx and watch a game of cricket, play some basketball or a game of touch-football. You can even go solo and make use of the running and hiking trails that wind throughout the park. Just make sure to take advantage of the crisp autumn air before it gets too cold.
Hours: 6 a.m. – 10 p.m.
Travel Time: 45 minutes from Union Square
Estimated Cost: $5.50 for round-trip subway ride

Atlantic City Boardwalk
Beaches, casinos and shows can all be found at this historical landmark. At the oldest boardwalk in the country, you’re guaranteed to have a blast no matter what you decide to do. Enjoy the attractions of the boardwalk during the day, watch the sunset on the beach at dusk and then indulge in the nightlife afterwards. All you need to do is buy a ticket for an Academy Bus headed towards one of the many casinos in Atlantic City. As an added bonus, Academy customers can get food vouchers or slot machine credits with their ticket.
Hours: All Day
Travel Time: 2 hours 30 minutes from Port Authority Bus Terminal
Estimated Cost: $40 for a round-trip ticket

Kykuit
Ever wonder what it’s like to be worth $336 billion? Find out by visiting the home home of John D. Rockefeller himself and delving into his world of opulence and luxury. Peruse the estate’s gardens containing works by Picasso, Calder and more, and witness a collection of priceless horse-drawn carriages and classic automobiles. Be sure to buy the Kykuit Tour package from a Metro-North ticket office for reduced fares, and plan to arrive by 1 p.m. to ensure space is available.
Hours: Visitor Center opens at 9 a.m. Last tour is 3 p.m. weekdays, 4 p.m. weekends
Travel Time: 45 minutes from Grand Central Terminal
Estimated Cost: $43 round-trip ticket (includes Kykuit tour ticket)

Brighton Beach/Coney Island
Adjacent to one another, these two tourist hotspots are favorites of New York City residents for a reason. Grab some pirozhki from one of the many Russian vendors and enjoy your snack on the beach. Next, head on over to Coney Island — only open on weekends now — where you can visit the aquarium, amusement park or watch the new Halloween interactive theater show opening this weekend.
Hours: Varies
Different sections of Coney Island vary

Email Patrick Pauley at [email protected]